the Bucky Four-Eyes Cotillion

Monday, January 24, 2005

Monday bitchin' : Jesus saves!

Just wanted to pop in and apologize for the very short posts this weekend (short on content, maybe, but not short on nauseating ideas). I was pretty busy with some other obligations, plus the fact that I was just plain pissed off. See, Friday night, I spent about 45 minutes crafting this absolutely brilliant (in my mind, anyway) post about the Gumby and Pokey figurines I used to carry with me at all times. There were a few turns of phrase with which I totally delighted myself, and which, alas, I shall never think of again.

When I had finished crafting my post, I decided to try out Blogger's preview feature. As I was previewing, I clicked on an external link, to make sure it worked properly. When I had checked out the link, I hit the "back" button -- and instead of taking me back to my preview post, it took me back to the composition window with a blank fucking slate. Nothing I did was gonna get that post back, and the whole neighborhood likely heard my pitiful, enraged cries of "COCKSUCKER!" and "MOTHERFUCKER!" and even a few Nancy-Kerriganesque shouts of "WHYYYYYYYYY MEEEEEEEEEE?" The wailing was followed by the flinging of notebooks, empty Diet Rite cans, and various writing implements. At that point, the migraine monster that lives in the back of my skull woke up and started banging on my brain with a broken, splintered broom, presumably because I was making too much noise. There was no way I was going to type that up again.

Lesson learned: Don't compose anything longer than three paragraphs directly into Blogger. Compose outside of Blogger and save, save, save. If you must compose in Blogger, use "Save as Draft" every two minutes. I never want to feel this particular pain again, and neither should you.

So, I hope to tell y'all that story sometime. Right now, I'm still in too much of a snit to attempt it again. I promise longer posts this week, though. I really need to let everyone know why I should never have a car with a sun roof.

4 of you felt the overwhelming need to say somethin':

Blogger Squirl said...

So sorry to hear about the Gumby/Pokey post missing in action. I know you have some really good stories about them. Hope you feel up to trying it again some time.

People at work tease me because I save my work so often. I've had traumatic losses too. Pays to save.

10:42 AM, January 24, 2005  
Blogger LadyBug said...

I was having such a hard time getting a comment posted last week, I finally typed it in Word and just copied and pasted it to the comment box. It took me four or five attempts to post last Thursday's comment on your blog.

Oh, and thanks to your Nancy Kerrigan reference, I'm now picturing you in ice skates and a ponytail with way, way too much (tear-streaked) blush.

10:59 AM, January 24, 2005  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Yeah, Jim gave me a ton of grief for losing my post, seeing as how I'm an IT professional and saving often is such an elementary concept. Let's all join in: "DUH, Katy!"

LadyBug, the day I put on ice skates is the day I buy bulk time at the emergency room. Not graceful, not graceful at all. . .

11:36 AM, January 24, 2005  
Blogger Schmootzie said...

Your experience resonated with me. I've done the same thing and now compose everything in Word and save-save-save. I can sometimes come up with something clever but I have no memory, so once it is not written down it is gone forever!

schmootz

5:33 AM, January 26, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home