the Bucky Four-Eyes Cotillion

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

I USED to want my MTV

Once upon a time, in a galaxy far, far away, I had reason to tune in to MTV. I won't talk about the early '80s, because I'd be embarrassed to admit a lot of the videos that tripped my trigger in those days. But when it came to the later '80s and early '90s? That was some righteous shit I could really sink my buck teeth into.

Remember Siouxsie and the Banshees?




All these years later, Peekaboo is still one of my favorite videos.



And how about They Might Be Giants?




Gotta go see those guys again sometime...



Now, allow me to go off on a whole tangent about one MTV program, Liquid Television. This was one of the best shows in the history of television, and if you disagree with me, you can just go hump a broken window. Animation and experimental film collided to provide a lovely visual chaos that still makes my nipples hum the Battle Hymn of the Republic.

Some of the regular features on the show included:

Winter Steele



I thought she was waaaaaay more of a badass than Aeon Flux.



Invisible Hands



"Aha! If only the Mahoney twins were alive to see this!"




Dog Boy






Stick Figure Theater






God, I miss that shit. I need a time machine. Or a comprehensive Liquid Television DVD boxed set (hint hint, MTV execs who are clamoring to read my blog).

No, on second thought, I'll stick with the time machine. I'm also nostalgic for my early '90s physique. I want my pre-gravity boobs!

11 of you felt the overwhelming need to say somethin':

Blogger Ghost of Goldwater said...

FIRST!
I'd like my pre-gravity boobs too. Or should that be pre-obesity? Uhm.

5:48 AM, May 15, 2007  
Blogger MilkMaid said...

Hump a broken window.....hmmmmmm...

4:43 PM, May 15, 2007  
Blogger Bone Machine said...

MTV used to be a nifty mix of crap and goodness. The kicker is that I have found myself sort of nostalgic for some of those 80s songs that I used to hate.

Now I want to hear TMBG's Minimum Wage.

6:12 PM, May 15, 2007  
Blogger Charlotte in Pa said...

WOW! That was quite a trip down memory lane. Good times. I remember being excited to go to college because I lived in such a small town that we didn't even have cable yet, and I wanted to watch MTV.

PS - I hope that you made it through Sunday. I was thinking about you!

8:11 PM, May 15, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

You can still get (whispers) VHS of Liquid Television.

What kills me is that I had all the episodes taped, and tossed them during a move.

9:35 PM, May 15, 2007  
Blogger Squirl said...

I didn't get to watch all of the videos yet. But wasn't that first one on Beavis and Butthead?

7:09 AM, May 16, 2007  
Blogger Random and Odd said...

I miss pop up videos. I guess because I never had MTV in the 80's.


I don't miss my boobs, I didn't have any until 95.

3:48 PM, May 16, 2007  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Shit, Kristine, I got my boobs in 1976. I think it's high time I traded up for a new pair. And I do mean UP.

3:52 PM, May 16, 2007  
Blogger eclectic said...

Dude, I was such a sheltered child! I was around during that era, but I hadn't seen any of that stuff. Dang church school, anyway. I missed all the good stuff.

9:15 PM, May 16, 2007  
Blogger I'm not here. said...

Dammit, I want my figure back, too. Especially the boobs. They're both so depressed now, looking down at the floor and all...
*goes searching for duct tape*

11:12 PM, May 16, 2007  
Blogger WILLIAM said...

FYI They Might Be Giants do childrens music now. I have their ABC's video and album.

But I did read recently that they were coming out with a new album in July and may be touring.

8:59 AM, May 23, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home