the Bucky Four-Eyes Cotillion

Friday, November 23, 2007

Black Friday notes

Just a few words from my swollen, turkey-bloated self.

  • I was having a brew n' view with some friends the other night, and I'd brought Sin City for us to pay half attention to while giggling like drunken teenagers. When the Manute character came onscreen, someone in the group asked, "Is that Ving Rhames?"

    This is where I found that alcohol + know-it-all is not necessarily a great combination. I immediately informed him, "No, that's Michael Clunk Darkin." Oh yeah...gimme another beer. It'll keep my mouth shut for a minute or two. Really, though, the alcohol is just an excuse. I talk funny when I'm sober, too.


  • Squirl and Ichabod invited me to his parents' place for Thanksgiving dinner. Those folks know how to put on a party, let me and my fat belly tell ya. When it came time to eat, I sat right next to the kids' table, because I knew I'd just be asked to move over there if I sat too near the real adults. Ich's nephew, Tiago, was seated next to me and we had a good time chatting and he had a blast playing with my camera phone. Squirl arrived a little later than I did, and when she sat down at the table, Tiago looked up at her, then at me, then back and forth a few more times with growing confusion. He finally said, "Hey! I thought you" (pointing at me) "were her" (pointing to Squirl) "in disguise!"


  • I think Marcia Brady said it best when she yelped "Oh, my nose!"

    Not to put too fine a point on how exactly it transpired, but...well...let's just say I received a very unintentional but nonetheless vicious head-butt to the nose a couple of nights ago. From my girlfriend. It's not broken but it's still tender. But it's one of those injuries that, when I feel a twinge from it, cracks me up because I enjoy the absurdity of it. Plus I can probably milk some sympathy points from the little lady (at least, until she reads this).

8 of you felt the overwhelming need to say somethin':

Blogger Unknown said...

That’s it! Katy, I just realized the many ways you remind me of my favorite aunt, Aunt Dot. She always sat near us kids, ‘cause at heart she was one of us. And, she was a excellent and creative artist. And she’d rather play with us after Thanksgiving dinner than jabber or snooze with the old people.

4:04 PM, November 23, 2007  
Blogger Squirl said...

Michael Clunk Darkin. Sounds like something my know-it-all self might say.

I'm glad you could come over and enjoy T'day with us yesterday.

5:31 PM, November 23, 2007  
Blogger here today, gone tomorrow said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Hope the nose heals up soon; tell the girlfriend to take it easy on you!

7:00 PM, November 23, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Black Friday indeed. I have double the number of kids here tonight for the last event in the week-long marathon that is Punkin's birthday.

It sounds like you had a great time there, Buckster. I hope your nose heals soon. :)

9:51 PM, November 23, 2007  
Blogger eclectic said...

Head, butt, nose... Nope. Not gonna ask. ;)

Glad you had a good Thanksgiving, Bucky. If I'd been there, I'd have sat with the kids, too. They're waaaaay more entertaining than the adults.

3:13 PM, November 24, 2007  
Blogger Nilbo said...

Pfft. Not one regular reader here NEEDS to ask ...

... and not one of us feels an ounce of sympathy for you.

12:20 PM, November 26, 2007  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

SSNick - well, I've been told before that I'm a little dotty, but I don't think that's what they meant.

Squirl - I had a great time, and the food was FUCKING AWESOME. Can't believe Ich's mom made those cloverleaf rolls from scratch. And the cheeseball turkey was hilarious! Of course, we at it ass-end first.

HTGT - Happy belated turkey day to you and your posse as well! I guess I'm just glad I didn't get kicked in the nose.

CKelli - I hope the extra kiddies have gone home by now, and maybe even taken a couple of yours with them.
And some injuries are worth sustaining.

Eclectic - I knew the "head" and "butt" were gonna be taken separately at some point. No, it was a head to the nose, not a butt. Not at that particular moment, anyway.

Nilbo - why do I just know that you've gone through all the geometric possibilities in your mind already? You probably have the right one in there somewhere.

12:34 PM, November 26, 2007  
Blogger Flying Mermaid said...

Ah yes, we who are destined to remain at the kids table, long after the kids have grown and gone.

Having broken my nose twice, and found it highly emotional both times, I find no humor there. Just today, at Pilates, I yelped, "No, I CAN'T lie on my stomach with my forehead on that little washcloth! These tables should have face cradles! Joseph Pilates was obviously an anti-semite!"

11:48 PM, November 27, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home