the Bucky Four-Eyes Cotillion

Friday, July 25, 2008

Bugs Bunny?

It's not hard to confuse me. Really, it's no challenge at all, so most people don't even try - it just kinda happens organically, no pushing required.

That said, maybe some of you will be less confused by this than I am. Is mother nature fucking with me, or are these common and I just never noticed? That's entirely possible, as I spend a great deal of time with my head up my ass. Either way, this was on my door yesterday:


Moth? Bunny? I'm confused.

Moths? I've seen plenty of 'em, but never one with bunny ears. This one was perched about eye level on my door, gazing in at me as I was on my way out to feed the neighborhood cats.

Normally, I'm no fan of bugs (insects, flying creepy things, whatever the hell category a moth is filed under...I never said I was a goddamned scientist), but this one was just oddly fascinating to me, so I grabbed the camera. The thing just stared at me as I got the shots, neither flinching at the flash nor cowering in the face of technology.


Bunny-faced moth
No, this is not Photoshopped; if it were, don't you think I'd have added a carrot and buck teeth?


So I'm left to wonder: is this a freak of nature? Did a randy moth stick his proboscis in a bunny's hoo-hoo one drunken evening?

Help me out here, folks. First of all, tell me you see it, too. I'd hate to think people were right all those years ago about acid flashbacks.

22 of you felt the overwhelming need to say somethin':

Anonymous Anonymous said...

disturbing! now I'm going to be thinking about this all day at work.

8:41 AM, July 25, 2008  
Blogger Ms SnS said...

How cute! I want to find one and hug him and squeeeze him!

9:10 AM, July 25, 2008  
Blogger Bone Machine said...

Have they been doing some nuclear ("nucular" for the elected official types) testing up there? Maybe it's a Mothra action figure or something.

Whatever it is, it is definitely fucked up. Not that I have room to talk, but I do anyway.

11:44 AM, July 25, 2008  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Chick - What kind of friend would I be if I didn't immediately share the disturbing shit I see?

Ms S&S - And call him "George" I presume?

Bone - Yeah, maybe it's the result of a new-kew-lur experiment gone horribly right.

12:19 PM, July 25, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'll tell you what that is.

It's effin weird. That's what it is.

Lock your doors.

12:26 PM, July 25, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's awfully cute. Makes me think I've just never looked carefully at a moth before. Maybe they're all cute like that.

12:26 PM, July 25, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's a hodge podge of shit is what! WTF?! It's cute and scary and fascinating all at the same time. Total weirdness.

1:19 PM, July 25, 2008  
Blogger eclectic said...

I do not know what that is. But I hope it flew away when you opened the door.

2:30 PM, July 25, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Male Gypsy moth?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gypsy_moth

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xtwizx/664804812/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cbahlai/354222960/

2:50 PM, July 25, 2008  
Blogger Charlotte in Pa said...

You can send a picture to www.whatsthatbug.com and people might help you identify it!

2:50 PM, July 25, 2008  
Blogger Candy said...

I think shes right about it being a male gypsy moth, but you should send your pics to whatsthatbug.com because they dont have anything as stellar as the shot you got.

Also. close your curtains at night so it cant watch you, ya know...

3:31 PM, July 25, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gross. Ugly. I hope you stepped on it.

5:50 PM, July 25, 2008  
Blogger Squirl said...

He's somewhere between gross and cute. Does look like the pictures of the male gypsy moth.

8:16 PM, July 25, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bucky -

It's obviously Stacy London's spy moth...

http://technology.newscientist.com/channel/tech/mg19726461.800-the-cyborg-animal-spies-hatching-in-the-lab.html

2:49 PM, July 27, 2008  
Blogger Squirl said...

Just for our amusement, you really should give it buck teeth and a carrot.

6:21 PM, July 27, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

Truthfully, I have never before looked that closely at on of those creatures. I hope to never again.

10:53 PM, July 27, 2008  
Blogger Bone Machine said...

Whatever it is, it could probably kick Ghidrah the three-headed monster's ass.

11:26 AM, July 28, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

*Still reeling from the fact there is a website called "whatsthatbug.com" *

12:41 PM, July 28, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we can't have this discussion without the lost Mothra song ya know.

OG considers soundtracking blog posts as a semi-official duty.

6:45 PM, July 28, 2008  
Blogger Flying Mermaid said...

There's a martian bug out my way that I call a bunny wasp. It crawls, doesn't fly, but looks like a huge wasp with giant bunny ears. Cute as hell.

3:31 AM, July 30, 2008  
Blogger chica40208 said...

omg that thang is fucken ugly as hell but wow did you get a great picture of it !

7:58 AM, August 14, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

Just found this as I was trying to find out what I'd seen last night. Apparently it's a Gypsy moth. Bit late now, sorry lol

5:19 AM, July 13, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home