the Bucky Four-Eyes Cotillion

Monday, August 18, 2008

Condensed soapbox

I've been trying, for days and days, to write a coherent post about music and attitudes toward music. Obviously, that article isn't going to be finished any time in the foreseeable future. Let's just have a "cut to the chase" version of what I was trying to say.

Music, movies, the arts in general...I consider all of these to be necessary parts of my life, both as an observer and a creator. Just try to take away my iPod, fucker, and you'll see a clumsy bitch turn into a hair-pulling ninja warrior quicker than you can say "slacker goes ballistic."

But it irks me, has always irked me, when reviewers declare that certain albums or movies are IMPORTANT. That automatically prejudices me against whatever work is being discussed, because it just feels so overwhelmingly pretentious. It makes no sense to react that way, since my boycott is depriving me of music or art that I might actually enjoy, and in a way punishes the artist, who had no hand in that declaration of IMPORTANCE (unless the artist has made this claim himself, and then he or she goes into my "Snotty, Entitled, Presumptuous Egomaniac" file).

Works of art can certainly be considered more innovative, more influential, and have greater staying power than others, but I hesitate to single out works of art as IMPORTANT. Because, really, isn't all art important to someone, even if it's only the poor sap who's singing into a shoebox recorder in the bathroom at midnight, or fingerpainting pictures of her cats on a tempura-stained bench in the garage? To say that one piece of art is more important than another ignores the fact that every work of art is important to at least one person.

I guess what it comes down to, for me, is that all art is important on a personal level, but when someone in the faux-authoritative role of critic decides that it must be IMPORTANT to everyone based on this particular review, then I've gotta call bullshit.

This message was brought to you by The Society of People Who Record Music In Their Spare Bedrooms And Think That Farts Are A Valid Form Of Expression.

8 of you felt the overwhelming need to say somethin':

Blogger Squirl said...

I don't like any reviewer to tell me what I should think. Let me think for myself.

Farts speak for themselves.

7:22 PM, August 18, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

>>Think That Farts Are A Valid Form Of Expression.

Wait. You mean, they're NOT?!

9:47 AM, August 19, 2008  
Blogger Susie said...

I've been trying to think of an IMPORTANT comment, but I can't. Those critiques make me feel inferior, because I often don't appreciate (or understand?) the "important" works. Even the important blogs; I don't get them the way others seem to. The last "important" music I really enjoyed was Paul Simon's Graceland.
Apparently I'm drawn to the unimportant. And I agree with you.

7:19 PM, August 19, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah I am not fond of the elitist bullshit either.

Go on, Bucky. With your righteous self.

(meant in a positive way)

10:23 PM, August 19, 2008  
Blogger I'm not here. said...

Not only are they a valid form of expression, they're also funny as hell.

Pull my finger = comedy gold

12:23 PM, August 20, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

Pfft! I don't like all the "important" blogs/music/etc.

I LIKE YOU! :D

1:50 PM, August 20, 2008  
Blogger Flying Mermaid said...

Absofuckinglutely!

4:24 PM, August 21, 2008  
Blogger Bone Machine said...

I can sum up the musical aspect in two words...

Journey sucks.

Oh yeah, Toby Keith is the devil.

6:52 PM, September 02, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home