the Bucky Four-Eyes Cotillion

Saturday, March 12, 2005

Damn, and I've still got my prom dress

I knew it was gonna be a strange day when I woke up this morning feeling springy, cheerful, and talkative. This is either a harbinger of the apocalypse, or the little grey men have surreptitiously replaced me with Alien Katy. Those who know me are well aware of the fact that I'm not available for conversation for at least a half an hour after I force myself out of the surrogate womb that is my waterbed. I got nothin' to say, and I don't feel like processing any conversation beyond "Dog been out?" So for me to bound out of bed with the enthusiasm of a tequila-soaked cheerleader is a rare event which should be noted on the calendar in red, and may be cause for a national holiday next year. And this wasn't a case of morning-after-the-epic-shtup giggles, either, 'cause I was givin' Mr. Caught-a-Cold plenty of space last night.

After my glorious, nauseatingly bubbly awakening, the day seemed like it would continue without further incidents of note. I busied myself with a computer-bound combination of actual work and actual farting around and reading lots of other people's blogs (though I made myself promise not to get sucked into the vortex that is Dooce's comment section, just for today). I was finding a pretty waste-heavy ratio of work to time wasting, and in the midst of my glorious electronic thumb twiddling the phone rang.

It was Squirl. "Have you checked your email?"

I hadn't. I set the phone down to go log into my work email. She's provided me with a link, which I followed. I came back in and got back on the phone. "I wish I had a cordless," I remarked. She offered to call me back on my cell, because she really wanted to be on the line with me when I saw what she'd found.

Okay, cell call goin', let's see what we've got. It was a link to the PDF newsletter for a gay-lesbian-bisexual-transgendered organization, and she told me to go to page three. So I paged down, and paged down...

...and l was greeted by the soulful eyes of my high school boyfriend. I haven't seen him in 20 years, but there was no mistake, especially since his full name was printed under the photo. He appears to be pretty "out" but since I haven't asked his permission, I won't use his real name here (you know, in case he doesn't want his friends knowin' he took a skank like me to prom), and we'll just call him Rico.

So, Rico seems to be pretty involved in glbt issues and politics, and is pretty ensconced in the leather-and-levis scene. I even found a way-cool picture of him in his leather (no, Rico, not stalkin' you , but you know I had to look!). I came here intending to say something cheeky (no pun intended; well, yes it was) about my streak with ex-boyfriends (y'all don't know the half of the weird shit).

But you know what? I look at these recent pictures of Rico, and I see something in his expression that was never there when I knew him. He has a contentment about him, like he's found where he's supposed to be, and he's deep-down comfortable. And I find myself not able to write anything snappy or cute about it, because I find myself happy as hell for him.

But Rico? You and I are gonna need to have a little talk about how you look better in them skin-tight leather pants than I do. Not fair, not fair for a minute.

13 of you felt the overwhelming need to say somethin':

Blogger LadyBug said...

Prom dress and skin-tight leather pants, all in one post?
Oh, Bucky, you do like to tease, don't you?

Bats eyelashes

1:13 AM, March 13, 2005  
Blogger Joseph said...

caught me off gaurd with sentiment and shit...who am I to talk...I discovered that my eyes are leaking again with all the sappy crap on here. gotta get them fixed again.

(p.s. good post Alien Katy...I really liked it..A LOT!)

2:34 AM, March 13, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw Bucky-that was the sweetest thing in the whole world (and Canada). Good on ya, chick, for being so uber-cool. By the way, TWO ex-boyfriends of mine (whom I thought were breeder-impaired) have since married and had spawn. I'm thinkin' maybe I need to switch cologne or somethin'. Way to go, Bucky...nice post. Nice sentiment. Don't worry, we won't tell ANYONE you're really a big ol' sweetie and not the hardened, acid-dipped cast iron bitch everyone knows and loves so very much.

2:44 AM, March 13, 2005  
Blogger Schmootzie said...

Maybe I didn't read carefully enough, but is he G, B, L, T or a combination thereof? If he is a T then maybe that explains the pants issue.

Should there be a GBLT sandwich?

Keep reaching for that rainbow!

8:05 AM, March 13, 2005  
Blogger Squirl said...

Morning, sis. I have to agree with you that Rico looked pretty happy. Much more self-assured than back during the prom days. I'm glad he finally found himself. And I do love his leather picture. :-) Nice post.

8:11 AM, March 13, 2005  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Oops, Schmootz, I guess I wasn't completely clear on that. "Rico" is gay. Not L or B or T that I know of.
I know different organizations put the letters in different order, and the GBLT sandwich might just make its own mayonnaise, but I like to say "GLBT" because the initials just happen to be the same as those of a church in town which has in the past totally offended me. So, it's a small, childish pleasure.

Green and Dazed: You guys have to pinkie swear to keep my secret. If my enemies sense a crack in my scaly hide, they'll pounce with a ferocity unseen since Christmastime mall shopping. But you boys can bring your parade down my street any old day.

LadyBug: You ain't seen nothin' 'til you've seen me in my Reynold's Wrap Evening Wear. I'm good to 425 degrees, baby!

Squirl: Thanks for the tip in the first place. Rico and I have actually exchanged e-mails now, and he's doing great and is just as happy as he looks in his pics.

8:20 AM, March 13, 2005  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

I should clarify about the GLBT/church thing: I like to say it that way because I know the people who attend this particular church would fucking hate that! They're the type who stampeded to the polls in November to vote down any legal recognition of gay unions.

8:25 AM, March 13, 2005  
Blogger Squirl said...

I'm glad to hear that Rico's doing so well.

8:54 AM, March 13, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the hottest guys I dated in high school came out, too... and I was just about to write, "What a bummer" when I realized how pucking punny that is.

9:37 AM, March 13, 2005  
Blogger Spurious Nurse said...

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrico...
Suaaaaaaaaave...

10:43 AM, March 13, 2005  
Blogger Susie said...

I read the post, I read all the way down through the comments, and all I could think as I made my way down was, "Oh no, this lovely, sentimental, good-hearted post, and ALL I can come up with to say is Rico Suave!! And I can't say that, because this post is just so much more than that, but that's all that I keep hearing in my head, but I can't say that because... oh. Because Plum did. It wasn't me. It was Plum. I appreciated the heart-felt, genuine goodness expressed here. But not Plum. Plum just went all RRRiiiiiccooo Sssssuuuuuaaaavvvve. But not me.

10:18 PM, March 13, 2005  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Of course Susie would never say Rrrrrrrico Suaaaaaaave. Susie just wouldn't do that, that saying Rrrrrrrico Suaaaaaaave. Because saying Rrrrrrrico Suaaaaaaave would be wrong. Wouldn't it?
Rrrrrrrico Suaaaaaaave
Rrrrrrrico Suaaaaaaave
Rrrrrrrico Suaaaaaaave
Rrrrrrrico Suaaaaaaave

8:48 AM, March 14, 2005  
Blogger Broken Bindings said...

Still taking me three of four tries to get into comments on some blogs


oh yeah, er...

fabulous post! Love that you see that Mr Suave looks happy, content with his life. Awesome.

5:53 PM, March 14, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home