the Bucky Four-Eyes Cotillion

Friday, July 06, 2007

It's a Tool, Tool summer

Okay, it's three in the morning, and even though I have not been drinking, not a drop, I'm still pretty punchy.

Having a great time this week, not getting myself lost in Grand Rapids or anything, which is a minor miracle for me. Recall that I can get (and have gotten) lost in Linden, Michigan, which is slightly larger in area than a yoga mat. So I'm fairly proud of myself at this point (and tomorrow will be the day I make the wrong turn and end up in Kalamazoo or something).

Went to see Tool tonight...well, technically, last night. Before midnight and all. The band put on a killer, killer show! They were super tight, the sound mix was perfect and crisp, and the visual spectacle was really top drawer. They had film and images being projected onstage behind the band through the whole show, and lead singer Maynard Keenan contorting himself in silhouette against the brightly colored, pulsating backdrop was absolutely glorious. Dude's got hisself a heap o' stage presence.


Tool
Cameraphone shot - they were pretty strict about the "no cameras" thing.


We're having a great visit (there's been delicious sushi, sinful ice cream, and a fantastic concert; not too shabby so far). If we catch a break and there's a day that's not too oppressively hot, we might take a stroll through the zoo; otherwise, we'll just hang out in air conditioned places and hatch evil plots.

I am now dragging my punchy ass off to bed. Everybody have a groovy weekend!

14 of you felt the overwhelming need to say somethin':

Blogger Squirl said...

You are doing so well, not getting lost! And watch those evil plots, okay?

6:58 AM, July 06, 2007  
Blogger here today, gone tomorrow said...

All this music this summer! That's the way to do it, Bucky!

10:38 AM, July 06, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just talking to one of my cousins last night about whether or not we were going to the show when Tool hits Houston. -- You may have just convinced me to get off of my lazy ass and buy tickets...

10:49 AM, July 06, 2007  
Blogger Bone Machine said...

Did Melt Banana open for them?

11:12 AM, July 06, 2007  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Squirl - evil plots are the only plots worth plotting.

HTGT - I just keep adding shows. I think I'm going to see G Love in Grand Rapids next week. And ZPZ on the 20th!

Smoness - you won't be sorry if you do. I had no idea what to expect, not really being a Tool afficianado, but I really enjoyed it a lot!

Bone - no, Jess said they did in Peoria, but last night a band called Big Business opened. I wonder if it's somebody Maynard knows or something, since he went to art school in Grand Rapids. Anyway, I can't say I cared for them at all. Too much purposeful feedback. I HATE that. I heard enough accidental feedback at rehearsals to deafen me for a lifetime already.

11:22 AM, July 06, 2007  
Blogger Bone Machine said...

I think Big Business is somewhat affiliated with the Melvins, who opened for Tool in the past.

Melt Banana opened in Evansville. They're a Japanese noise band and it was...uh...interesting.

12:26 PM, July 06, 2007  
Blogger Mike said...

Ummm...so I have been lost in Linden Michigan. What does that say about me?

Never mind, no need to answer. I am so glad the Dunce Cap is one size fits all.

2:13 PM, July 06, 2007  
Blogger Laura said...

Glad you had a great concert! Have a great weekend yourself.

2:38 PM, July 06, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Keep it up, Bucky!

5:57 PM, July 06, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, just so you know Tim and Faith are going to be in Grand Rapids on July 12th. I'm sure they would be every bit as cool and awesome as Tool... no, really...

8:24 PM, July 06, 2007  
Blogger I'm not here. said...

But they're so eeevil.
*pinky up to corner of mouth*
What were we talking about? Nevermind, I have had some to drink! Mmm...Blue moon beer.
Yum!

10:48 PM, July 06, 2007  
Blogger Stepmom said...

i'm tagging you wether you like it or not. (but i won't be offended if you don't do it). check out "8 things you didn't know about me" over at eatheregetgas.bravejournal.com

10:48 PM, July 06, 2007  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Bone - sounds like I didn't miss much!

Mike - I'm always willing to share the Fancy Dunce Cap with friends.

Laura - Thanks! I'm just piling on the concerts this summer, if I can help it. :)

SS Nick - keep what up? My alleged schlong?

CKelli - yeah, I did actually notice that on the marquis. Should I save you a seat?

M_D - I think it's proactive to be drunk before you come here. You are a prudent woman.

Candy - Is that "tagged like a deer"?

1:18 PM, July 07, 2007  
Blogger Stepmom said...

yes, i've tagged you so that i can monitor your movement for my nature study :)

12:58 AM, July 09, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home