the Bucky Four-Eyes Cotillion

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Notes from a dorky past

To be honest with y'all, I just plain couldn't think of anything to write about tonight. I didn't have any new pictures to post, either, yet I feel compelled to put something up. So I did something I've been meanin' to do for a while, namely, dig out some of my old notebooks and have a look (and, likely, a snicker).

While I still keep a notebook, and there's always an active one, I kept them with much greater zeal in my younger, less complicated years. The earliest one I found tonight is dated from 9/7/1984 to 2/15/1985. Some of the more amusing and/or semi-mortifying things I wrote here include:

  • A synopsis of an episode of General Hospital, presumably for my mom on a day when she had to miss it. This was waaaaaay before SoapNet, folks. I don't even recognize some of the character names, but it has to be GH because "Frisco and Felicia give the goons the slip at the airport" and "Robert and Holly helped Porchenkos escape with Grant and Celia."
  • The outline for a story called "Mrs. Greenblatt's Revenge" and then it says (revision) so you know I actually thought of this at some other time and then rewrote it in this notebook. The plot involves murder by forced chicken soup overdose, and features a cop named Officer O'Doodah. Um...okay.
  • A short story called "Swindle Shift" that starts out with the captivating prose: "Bobo LaBooza was a simple man. You could say he had a perfect life, except for the fact that his wife and children drove him to the brink of insanity" Well, Bobo flips one day, takes all his money out of the bank, and engages the first prostitute he sees. Poor Bobo, she rolls him, cleans the fucker out, and even though his money was in traveler's checks, he's screwed because the prostitute's name is Bobo LaBooza too. Before long, his tombstone reads: "Somewhere, a cheap hooker is spending all my money." Yes, I do know just how charming I am, thanks.
  • Of course, what notebook of mine would be complete without pages full of doodling and drawring? The following shots all come from one page of my idiocy, circa 1984:



1984doodle1

1984doodle2

1984doodle3

1984doodle4


As you can see, I have long been in need of some serious help. Unfortunately, I never sought help, and I am now the depraved individual who writes disgusting things for your amusement on a daily basis.

These old notebooks are a goldmine for laughin' at myself, so be prepared to be subjected to my thoughts that have had 20 years to rot.

20 of you felt the overwhelming need to say somethin':

Blogger Susie said...

You're fuckin' Goofy, too, aren't you? That's why I love you so.

10:30 PM, August 09, 2005  
Blogger Dang Cold.. said...

For the love of all things Goofy, go to bed y'all!! Remember Steve (Patch) Johnson from Days of Our Lives? What a cool, one eye'd, tough guy he was. Also Roman, Bo, Kim and Kayla Brady. That family never had a moments peace. Damn evil Victor Kiriakis. Bucky's GH reference got me thinking of my fav soap characters from way back. I was a bored lad in Salem, I was.

dc

11:38 PM, August 09, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

hey as if you are not completely turned on by Bowie as Jarrod... yum yum yum yum yum yum (socks down the pants and all)

12:59 AM, August 10, 2005  
Blogger Candy said...

Forced chicken soup overdose? I had a babysitter try to do that to me once, I just puked on her.

Major plot hole in your story there.

1:22 AM, August 10, 2005  
Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

I'd like to know more about this Bobo LaBooza. The hooker version. Got any drawings of that one?

6:59 AM, August 10, 2005  
Blogger Amy said...

Those notebooks are a gold mine for us all. Great drawings!

Frisco and Felicia! Oh how I coveted her long blond hair............

7:31 AM, August 10, 2005  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Susie - if that's what you wanna call Jim, I'm sure he wouldn't mind too much...

Dang - I never really got to see any soaps that weren't ABC soaps. I am fascinated with the Days previews they show on SoapNet, though - it looks especially over the top.

Song - sssssssh, I thought that was my dirty little secret!

Jess - you puked on your babysitter. Why am I not surprised? I am soooo glad I was not ever your babysitter - and I really could have been, you know.
And why does everybody have to mention my major hole?

Mr. B - I'm sure I could whip out some sketches for ya.

Amy - You know, the same actress came back to play Felicia in the last year, was let go because she demanded a contract, and has recently been replaced. My god, a different Felicia after all these years?
Why don't they just recast Laura while they're at it?
Hmmmmmph!

7:51 AM, August 10, 2005  
Blogger Opera Gal said...

I don't follow soaps, but I dated a soap actor once, and I remember the first time I brought him home and my roommate at the time (this would have been, oh, 1969-90)went BALLISTIC and started screaming "its"..."its"...and started hyperventilating and calling him by his character name.

I was on the floor laughing my ass off, cause I had NO IDEA what she was talking about - so he had to 'fess up.

We were working in a Shakespeare company at the time, so it was a great moment of embarassment for him to have to admit he earned a living from tv. And for the record, the soaps were All My Children and One Life To Live (?)but I don't remember the character names.
ok, enough babbling.
um, Song, are we talking David Bowie here? I'm confused...

8:07 AM, August 10, 2005  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Opera gal - so he was on a REAL soap (as opposed to the non-ABC soaps). Now I'mm gonna get whupped by Days and Passions fans. That's funny he was tryin' to be all cool and Shakespeare and then your roomie busted him.
And Song is harassin' me about Bowie because I commented on her site about bein' disturbed by him in his Labyrinth outfit.

9:04 AM, August 10, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy Ca Toots! *someone* conjur'd up tha devil....

wwwasn't me...wwwasn't me.

11:04 AM, August 10, 2005  
Blogger SierraBella said...

Bobo LaBooza has sex with a prostitute with the same name?

Even at the tender age of 20 you were already the Bucky we've come to know and love!

11:34 AM, August 10, 2005  
Blogger Torrie said...

Oooh! I have an idea!
You should draw caricatures of all your blog friends.

11:45 AM, August 10, 2005  
Blogger eclectic said...

I got a little concerned when you said you were gonna have a Snicker, because I kinda like him and would hate to think of him being disrespected like that. But then I figured out you meant a candy bar. *whew*

11:52 AM, August 10, 2005  
Blogger racingpartsales.com said...

I was thinkin you were the chick version of Napoleon Dynamite, but Naaaaaaah. Just curious though, Have you ever drawn a Liger?

12:33 PM, August 10, 2005  
Blogger Squirl said...

Sierrabella, she was forming the Bucky you now know and love from the day she was born. Even before she said her first word, "Batman."

Torrie, you might not want to tempt her. She just might do it.

Bucky, and then there were the rats. But we won't go there.

1:39 PM, August 10, 2005  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Anon - I don't summon the devil so much as I sketch him on the fly.

Sierrabella - the fun part about all these ancient notebooks (well, aside from the totalllly lame love letters I wrote to my later-gay boyfriend) is that I don't remember most of what's in 'em. It's a big surprise for me as I flip through...

Torrie - I don't know if I'd have any blog friends left after I did that. And I don't really draw women, and most of my blogger friends are female, so that might not be so good, or flattering for anybody.

Eclectic - I would never disrespect the Snickers. I may disprespect everything of this world and not, but not the Snickers.

Jeff's place - I fear I will have to break down and see Napolean Dynamite, just to see what all the buzz is about.

Squirl - not sure what you mean. I was the most unassuming, blend-into-the-wall kid you'd ever wanna meet.
boom
Another lightning bolt, dodged.

Kitty - I think I may be a bad influence. Somebody needs to spank me.

Anybody?

2:10 PM, August 10, 2005  
Blogger Squirl said...

I would never disrespect the Snickers. I may disprespect everything of this world and not, but not the Snickers.

Ahem, may I remind you of a little incident involving steer horns and said dog?

2:33 PM, August 10, 2005  
Blogger Kranki said...

Oh, the insanity.

3:47 PM, August 10, 2005  
Blogger Opera Gal said...

Bucky - time out young lady - you were dissing BOWIE? and about a career move he made BEFORE he married Iman and became a massive sellout and made my head want to explode? Where is Nilbo to mete out your punishment?

Ern - I totally thought the same thing about Snickers.

6:00 PM, August 10, 2005  
Blogger greatwhitebear said...

God, I love the bobo la booza story! You should flesh it out and publish it!

6:17 PM, August 13, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home