the Bucky Four-Eyes Cotillion

Sunday, September 11, 2005

Detroit Jazz Festival 2005 wrap-up pictures

Seems I promised to post more pictures from Detroit and the jazz fest last weekend, and since I have absolutely nothing worthwhile in me to write at this moment, what better time to do a photo tour!

This is in no particular order, which, if you saw my office, would make perfect sense.

derelictbear1
The bear was either passed out or recently mugged. I didn't get involved.


100_4498
Some cities have moose, others have pigs, Detroit has little cars.

100_4499

marcia8
Long Tall Marcia Ball


100_4694
Come on, you didn't think you'd escape another glance at this honey, did you?


100_4914

100_5028

derelictbear2
It was even worse when we came back.


freaky2
There's that little Amish boy who can't grow a beard!


detroit1

charlesmcpherson2
Charles McPherson


100_4925

100_4924

100_4922
The Renaissance Center


100_4918
I've heard of the short bus, but never the green bus.


don1
Marcia Ball's bassist, Don Bennett


marcia2

marcia3

marcia4

marcia6

marcia7
I wasn't gonna leave any commentary, but this picture makes me think of a story I recounted to Susie via email last week. Marcia began to play Louisiana 1927, a Randy Newman song about a devastating flood. When she got to the line, "They're tryin' to wash Louisiana away..." a few in the crowd stood and began to applaud. Soon, the entire crowd was on its feet, clapping through the rest of the song and for a couple of minutes after. It's hard to explain here, but 'twas a powerful feeling, indeed. Seemed like Marcia and the band stepped it up even a notch higher after that.

The 2005 jazz festival goes down in my book as one of the best I've attended.

21 of you felt the overwhelming need to say somethin':

Blogger Squirl said...

Some really nice photos there. I especially like the one of the Amish boy. I hope he's not too blue about not being able to grow a beard.

That must have been something when Marcia Ball was singing the song about Louisiana.

4:01 PM, September 11, 2005  
Blogger Opera Gal said...

Royal Oak (otherwise known as Royal Joke) tried to do the cow thing a few years ago, it was a dismal failure.People stole them and defaced them. Yep, in oh-so-upscale RO.

I thought sharing Boobzilla with everyone here would be a good idea - she picks up things with her size 44LL boobs.

4:15 PM, September 11, 2005  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Squirl - looks like the Amish boy is holdin' his breath until a goatee sprouts.
And that was quite something at the concert. Hair stand up tingly kinda something.

Opera gal - OHMYGAWD! Boobzilla is hilarious! And I can't stop lookin' at the other pages of the Crispy Family Carnival...now you've done it. Now I have freakshow fever!

4:23 PM, September 11, 2005  
Blogger Opera Gal said...

scary in a "i want to look away, but I'm too fascinated" kinda way, isn't it?

4:57 PM, September 11, 2005  
Blogger Susie said...

Ha! I ain't namin' names, but there are quite a few blogs that I visit because I have freakshow fever!

I like the Jazz Fest, thru your eyes. Good time. And your "Amish" hat is ... I love it. I say it's a keeper. (Don't even go there.)

5:00 PM, September 11, 2005  
Blogger I'm not here. said...

We've got bear statues around our town.
There's one beside our McDonald's) that looks like it hunted down and ate Ronald himself and is now posing in his clothes to avoid prosecution.
No one has bothered them yet.
It looks like you had a wonderful time at the festival.

5:06 PM, September 11, 2005  
Blogger I'm not here. said...

How'd that ) get in there?
I haven't been drinking.
Must be this keyboard...not the user. Yeah. That's it.

5:07 PM, September 11, 2005  
Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

The bear? Bucky? Please tell me you gave the bear a new home or that the owner found him/her.

(Lie to me if you have to.)

5:47 PM, September 11, 2005  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Opera gal - train wreck. A really fun one.

Emily - think Boobzilla can play piano with hers as well as Candye does with hers?

Susie - hey, "Cotillion", "freak show"...I think it's all on the same page.
Ha, my hat's a Keeper. *not going there, not going there, oh god, NOT GOING THERE*
I used to wear that a lot when I sang so I didn't have to fuck with my hair.

M_D - makes me think of that Tom Waits song "The Piano Has Been Drinking (Not Me)"

Mr. B - um, the bear. Yeah. Um, well, the nice story would be that we saw a nice couple with a sweet little boy pick him up, cradle him lovingly, and take him home to the suburbs.
The dirty truth is that he was last seen trading sex for rock on 8 Mile.

6:09 PM, September 11, 2005  
Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

When you say "trading"...did he at least get a fair deal?

(Sad as it may be, I teared up just a bit seeing those two images thinking of how close my boy is to 3 very special and important buddies of his. One of which is now in his 4th sweater due to wear and tear. "Puppy" is so much a part of the family, that I painted a picture of him.) *sniffs*

6:25 PM, September 11, 2005  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Aw, Bloggy, I didn't mean to getcha all sentimental there.
Truthfully, he was face up when we parked, face down when we left, and gone the next day.
I like to imagine the guy who runs the parking lot took it home to his tots.

6:38 PM, September 11, 2005  
Blogger Opera Gal said...

Tom Waits? Drinking? Like peas and carrots folks. I think that was the first TW song I ever heard, although I am quite partial to Franks Wild Years.
My understanding from a friend (who did drink with him in New orleans, no less) is that TW isn't quite the happy-go-lucky laid back type to knock a few back with - apparently he gets VERY quiet.

7:45 PM, September 11, 2005  
Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

Hehe, sorry. Just how we are here in the Bloggerific homestead. Us Bloggerifics wear our hearts on our sleeves and are proud of it.

7:57 PM, September 11, 2005  
Blogger Candy said...

Those cars would be cooler if they had little midget drivers in matching outfits.

And dont tell Nick about that Boobzilla, you know he has been planning to make that movie for years.

10:17 PM, September 11, 2005  
Blogger ALRO said...

I GOT CHUB !!
Just when i thought my life would fall into a pit of dispair - along came Toothless Tooty - Master of the Beads...

Thank you, Bucky, Thank you.. i thought i'd die - with never having to see her again - and like a good ol' buddy you brought her back!!

Reminded me of this one lady who touched me far too much at my gig last night.

"Come one you can play one more song for us.. " *rubbing my chest.. my back .. my tummy .. "Just one more.." rubbing some more..

No regard at all for personal space ... Yeeeeeesh... now if she was HOT... theeeeen that'd be ok..

10:24 PM, September 11, 2005  
Blogger Susie said...

Two songs:
It's a freakshow, baby, baby on the dance floor!
AND
Let the sideshow beging
Hurry, hury, step right on in!
Can't afford to pass it by
Guaranteed to make you cry . . .

8:49 AM, September 12, 2005  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Opera gal - "his wife was a spent piece of used jet trash, made good bloody marys, kept her mouth shut most of the time..."
I suspect TW saves most of his yappin' for his songs and onstage, and I LOVE it when he tells stories onstage. (have seen him twice)

Mr. B - how come I don't see your heart on your sleeve in your latest profile pic? C'mon, out with it!

Jess - everything is better with midgets!
And Nick may have to change the title of his movie, to avoid copyright infringement. How about "One village, under nipple"?

Alshrim - heh heh, kinda like the NOT HOT gal who hung all over Jim at a gig one night and then stuck her tongue down his throat when she saw her chance. Oh, the traumatized look on his face was worth a million bucks...

Emily - awww, don't fight. Unless more of the KB show up, then you can take it out on their little stingin' asses.

9:02 AM, September 12, 2005  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Susie, you're givin' me flashbacks to when I used to do a carnival barker act for my parents' amusement when I was, like, 6.

Uh oh, guess I better blog it.

9:04 AM, September 12, 2005  
Blogger LadyBug said...

With the words "wrap-up" in the title, I was expecting pictures of you and Jim in bondage.

I know you've got some.

10:04 AM, September 12, 2005  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Um, LadyBug, I, uh, don't know, um, what you, er, mean.
*hides ball gag behind back*

10:52 AM, September 12, 2005  
Blogger Opera Gal said...

and he always hated that damn dog...

5:39 PM, September 12, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home