the Bucky Four-Eyes Cotillion

Sunday, September 04, 2005

Detroit Saturday: The Doctor is in

best
We had the BEST time Saturday.

The Detroit Jazz festival was set up differently this year, in more of a street fair arrangement. Instead of all the acts and vendors bein' concentrated in Hart Plaza, the fest continued up Woodward Avenue, adding more stages to the mix and emulating Pontiac's Arts, Beats, and Eats (which always competes with the jazz fest for my attention on Labor Day weekend) by bringin' in local restaurants and artists to ply their wares.

It was fuuuuuuuuun.

Traffic was a new kind of clusterfuck, but when ten bucks for parking is the only money you're required to put out for entertainment of this caliber, I can't bitch too loudly. Especially since I wasn't behind the wheel at the time.

The first show for us was held in Campus Martius Park, which I had not seen before. 'Twas very cool, indeed. Took these shots of a building in the distance with the park's fountain in the foreground.

fountain1

fountain2


Our first entertainer for the day was Dr. John (they call him the Night Tripper, you know). We weren't very close to the stage, so I had to sneak some digital-zoom pictures; from this vantage points, I got more shots of some guy's greasy grey hair than I did of Dr. John, but hey.


drjohn3
Did he just get a little head on stage?


drjohn1
If you can't love him simply for the outfit, then what the fuck's wrong with you?

We were supposed to see McCoy Tyner, but (and this is not a complaint) Dr. John's set went over an hour and a half. My heart was not broken.

Since this festival is free to the public, volunteers combed the crowd for donations. My dollar was rewarded with this lovely sticker, my badge of honor:

jazzlover
I may or may not have had this in Photoshop.

Joey DeFrancesco blew us all away with his mad B3 skillz. He's the Huzzah of the Hammond. The Baron of the B3. He's damn good on the organ, is what I'm sayin'.


joeyd2

And then, on our way out of the festival, Jim made a new friend. I think it's true love, actually.


scomfort1

In about half an hour, we depart once more for Detroit to check out a rousing set by Long Tall Marcia Ball. You can just call us Big Shots now and get it over with.

11 of you felt the overwhelming need to say somethin':

Blogger SierraBella said...

I'm liking the fountain spewage!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

2:53 PM, September 04, 2005  
Blogger Squirl said...

When I saw that BEST in your Flickr photos I thought they finally gave you the award you deserve. Glad it's been a great time, you jizz lover you.

6:35 PM, September 04, 2005  
Blogger ALRO said...

Looks like a blast...
I saw Dr. John once at the Ottawa Bluesfest.. he's not my favorite - but he put on a good show.. The guy can really play the keys.

Jizz lover huh?? Is that for the Gumby Love Diaries you and I are writing??? HBO is gonna love it.

6:40 PM, September 04, 2005  
Blogger Opera Gal said...

hey are you actually going to AB & E this year?
We could hook up there, I'm going tomorrow.

8:59 PM, September 04, 2005  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Sierrabella - thanks! It was a happy accident. And the weekend has gone beautifully so far.

Kitty - the meaning behind that is that I have a twisted mind and Photoshop.

Emily - I'm kinda surprised Marcia hasn't done one of her girl-trio-power CDs with Candye and, say, Toni Price or Sue Foley. Or third chick to be named later.
"Candye, that ho responsible for my now tattered life..." And wouldn't she be embarassed by such heartfelt praise?

Squirl - Whattaya mean? That IS my award. The Best Tard Award.

Alshrim - I think it'll have to be greenish-tinted stunt jizz for HBO. To make it more, you know, authentic.

Opera gal - Are you workin' or do you actually get a day off? We will be once more at the jazz fest in Detroit - it's Dave Brubeck tomorrow!

10:24 PM, September 04, 2005  
Blogger Susie said...

Aw, what squirl said is so sweet I forgot my off-color remark. I even forget what color it was off of.

10:33 PM, September 04, 2005  
Blogger Maven said...

BTW, Michael Arnone, who organizes the "Crawfish Fest" in NJ (he's out of LA, I believe), is going to be organizing some fundraisers for Katrina Relief.

I'm sure some good jazz and zydeco can be found at any of the functions.

Please check back at www.crawfishfest.com frequently to find out the particulars & venues.

LOVE LOVE LOVE Dr. John, btw.

11:22 PM, September 04, 2005  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Susie - now, don't you guys go gettin' all sentimental on me, now, just 'cause I'm a card-carryin' jizz lover.

Nugget - you said "crawfish".....all other thoughts gone....must have crawdaddies...

1:00 AM, September 05, 2005  
Blogger eclectic said...

Personally, I think you need a t-shirt. That "BEST" photo with "Jizz-Fest '05" in caligraphy right below it so that the casual observer reads "jazz."

1:06 AM, September 05, 2005  
Blogger Opera Gal said...

mmm...crawfish fest. thats some good eatin, there.
BFE - I am taking part of the day off - we ALL should be scared- this may actually herald the Rapture. ;)
We're going to AB & E cause one of our clients is playing up there - no Jazz Fest this year. :(

7:29 AM, September 05, 2005  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Eclectic - you're givin' me evil ideas here, and cafepress can only benefit from that. Heh heh jizz fest...

Opera gal - couldn't you just *cough* not feel good and sort of wind up at the Brubeck show? ;)

9:26 AM, September 05, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home