the Bucky Four-Eyes Cotillion

Monday, November 28, 2005

Here and there

Londo says I'm crazy

  • It's rainy and gloomy and chilly here, and all I want is some chicken rice soup and somebody to wash my hair in really, really hot water for me. Is that too big a dream? I guess I'd even settle for the hair dryer down my pants for a while.
  • I did indeed see RENT this weekend, and I really liked it, and I'm sure I will see it a few more times while it's on the big screen. That said, though, I found myself missing things from the stage show (I've seen it live three times), like the "No room at the Holiday Inn, oh no/And it's beginning to snow" type stuff, and songs like Happy New Year. I understand that stage and screen are two completely different ways of tellin' the same story, and I also understand that the damn movie was already long enough at 135 minutes. And if you wanna put a not-so-fine point on it, there are things in the plot that can really be picked apart. But what the fuck - it's a musical, and I love the songs in it, and the moviemakers will get more of my money before all's said and done (and danced and sung). And I will definitely instigate mooing in the theatre next time. It needs to be done. My favorite part of the movie: the tango fantasy that accompanies The Tango Maureen.
  • I'm currently reading To Kill a Mockingbird, which I'm loving, and really diggin' Harper Lee's writing style. I can't believe I never had to read this in school at any point. If you haven't read it, I recommend it. Hey, isn't my word as good as Oprah's?
  • It's sad to say, but I do have favorite TV commercials. My current favorite is one for Comcast high-speed internet, where a long-haired guy is webcamming himself air drumming and lipsyncing to some song that sounds like an '80s hair band, and then he just has a delightfully ridiculous total body spaz on the final drum flourish. The tagline is, "Ruin your reputation four times faster with Comcast high-speed internet!" I always have to stop whatever I'm doin' and watch this guy.
  • There oughta be a law against holiday weekends ending. I don't think I need to elaborate to win wide public approval for that notion.
  • Songs I can't stop playin' right now: Get Your Way by Jamie Cullum, Everybody Scream by Rob Zombie, Goody Two Shoes by Adam Ant, Music is the Victim by Scissor Sisters, and Today 4 U from Rent.
  • I may go a-tradin' Homies at the laundromat tomorrow night. Wish me luck.
  • This post could only be dorkier if I brought Captain and Tennille or They Might Be Giants into the conversation. Happy to oblige. Certain individuals who comment here launched a thinly veiled attack on the Captain and Tennille and I'm just here to say: I see you. Bucky is watching. So knock it off or I'll send Neil Sedaka to your house.
  • This is the sound of me spinning my wheels in inspirational quicksand. Good night.

22 of you felt the overwhelming need to say somethin':

Blogger Susie said...

Good ffffffft night, Bucky, dear.

11:15 PM, November 28, 2005  
Blogger eclectic said...

***fumbles in purse looking for Gas-X*** Here, Susie. Take the whole box.

*heh* I just told Susie to take a box.

11:31 PM, November 28, 2005  
Blogger Closet Metro said...

Neil Sedeka rocked many a cross country car trip in my youth. We had four eight track tapes. Neil was one.

11:44 PM, November 28, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

C & T were a vital part of my teenage angst as well - no dissing here.

I will grab the Clairol Herbal Essence and head over. Get that hair dryer out of your crotch.

11:53 PM, November 28, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

Damn, you wrote a lot, Bucky. Must be this boring, rainy weather!

It’s been rainy and gloomy here, too, but not chilly; the temperature hit 70+. Tomorrow the rains supposedly end and the sun shine and the temperature drops to the 30s. Damn.

It seems that everyone has seen Rent except me. I suppose I shall have to see it, too. Damn.

To Kill a Mockingbird is a great book. I found it meaningful, although that is seldom a valid criterion for anyone to read a book.

I have no favorite commercials. I avoid commercial whenever possible. My TV broadcasts little besides PBS. Am I missing anything of great consequence?

No end to holiday weekends? A 50s comedian named Brother Dave Gardner once said, “Every night a Saturday night and every day a Sunday. It ain’t worked before, but I’ll try it one more time.”

And I keep playing Ray Charles singing “Georgia on my Mind” for some unknown reason. Damn again!

I’d prefer you’d send Tennille to my house and keep the Captain and Neil. But that’s just the (horny) mood I’m in at this time of night. Damn! Damn!

Good night, Bucky.

12:14 AM, November 29, 2005  
Blogger Candy said...

SO, how did you feel about the bon jovi video in rent?

3:07 AM, November 29, 2005  
Blogger greasemonkey1320 said...

Yeah, what was with that whole desert/Santa Fe sequence? Secondly, where in the hell can you pawn a shitty acoustic guitar and get enough cash to buy a '68/'69 convertible Plymouth Roadrunner? A running one at that.

4:38 AM, November 29, 2005  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Susie - I'm sending you the jumbo-sized vat of Bean-O, right away.

Tarrrrrrdist - I've heard TMBG described as Dorks on Parade and I have no reason to dispute that. And I love 'em!

Eclectic - pretty free with that box, aren'tcha? That's why you fit in so well here...

Closet - heh heh heh heh, I actually used to own quite a few of Sedaka's records, and could often be found in my bedroom listening to them with a certain sister of mine who shall remain nameless. But Sedaka with the 8-track KER-CHUNKS - even better.

Jim - thank you for savin' me from the hair dryer; my monkey was startin' to dry up like an aged apricot.

SS Nick - hahaha, no, you're not really missin' that much by skippin' commercial TV. If there are any really good commercials, just come here and I'll tel you all about 'em. And it's never a bad thing to be stuck on a Ray Charles song. There are some days when I may play "Unchain My Heart" 20 times in a row, so I can't fault you a bit.

Jess - BWAHAHAHAHA, it was SUCH a Bon Jovi video! I have to confess that I did mutter, "I'm a cowboy - on a steel horse I ride" during the "What You Own" sequence.

Bobblehead - my theory is that the crappy acoustic guitar was filled with all the heroin Roger wasn't using anymore since he came out of rehab. He likely could've bought several of those cars with all the smack in there, but hey - who says junkies or ex-junkies have any business sense?

7:47 AM, November 29, 2005  
Blogger Spikey1 said...

You lost me at "It's rainy and gloomy and chilly here".

8:55 AM, November 29, 2005  
Blogger Torrie said...

To Kill a Mockingbird is my FAVORITE book.
Catcher in the Rye is a close second.

Did you see Walk the Line?

10:00 AM, November 29, 2005  
Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

Adam Ant? Yikes.

I like TKaM too. I actually own a paperback copy of that one.

10:45 AM, November 29, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

Same weather here. This sucks. Lets bugger off to an island loaded with cabana boys waiting to do our bidding.

I haven't seen RENT.

I haven't read TKAM.

I've seen that commercial, that's a good one. Have you seen the one with the guy wearing the Snickers bars on his head as a toupe?

Listening to Marc Cohn here.

I harbor no ill will for Captain and Tenille, even though my Mom used to play one of their albums to death. "I will, I will, I will..."

11:01 AM, November 29, 2005  
Blogger Squirl said...

I believe I read TKAM on my own in Junior High. I don't think it was for a class.

Haven't seen RENT yet. One of these days...

There are some commercials that I'll actually watch. I like the Capital One commercials with the heavy-set guy.

The only music that's going through my head right now is the Nutcracker Suite. I will be seeing that this Saturday if the weather stays decent.

2:11 PM, November 29, 2005  
Blogger Effie said...

I'll wash your hair if you wash mine next....I don't make chicken soup too often, but I have some leftover yummy german sausage and potato soup I made the other day....
It's yucky and rainy here too...(looks like Susie's had some bean soup...)

2:23 PM, November 29, 2005  
Blogger Froggylady said...

So I totally didn't realize that you wanted THAT hair washed by a professional, until you obviously started blow drying it. Nice of Jim to offer.

Loved To Kill a Mockingbird. James MaGuire just (Ok, probably forever ago, but it's the newest) released Son of a Witch - the semisequel to The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West. Can't wait to read about it!

6:31 PM, November 29, 2005  
Blogger Curtis said...

Love TKAMB, both book and film. That Gregory Peck does it for me. And what's this I hear about dissing C&T?!? Now THAT's un-American, right there.

7:18 PM, November 29, 2005  
Blogger I'm not here. said...

Hon, you can wash your hair; you can make chicken soup...just don't wash your hair in chicken soup.
Not a good idea, trust me on this one.

7:36 PM, November 29, 2005  
Blogger Susie said...

Ooh, CK, I LOVE Marc Cohn. Why isn't he more famous?

Curtis, I had the biggest crush on Gregory Peck, my whole life. O' course, now he's dead, and dead doesn't really do it for me.

Hi, Bucky! I'm still at work but I had a no show.

8:08 PM, November 29, 2005  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Spikey1 - sorry, dude, but I don't really have enough boobs for it to always be about boobs. So you gotta bear with the weather reports sometimes.

Torrie - I haven't read Catcher in the Rye, either. And Walk the Line is next on my seein' list.

Mr. B - I remember the Goody Two Shoes video from the infancy of Mtv when I was in (shut up, whippersnappers) high school.

CKelli - YES! I LOVE the Snickers commercials. The Snickers toupee guy, cryin' alone in his car...yes, that series of commercials amuses me greatly too.
And yes to the cabana boy...

Squirl - yeah, I like those Capitol One commercials, too. "Ooh, I'm shaking in my bright yellow shirt."

Effie - it's a deal on the hairwashing. And no more bean soup for Susie!

Bone Machine - Tardist and I saw TMBG when they toured for that album (Flood?). It was a realllly cool show, and we got to hang out backstage, too.
Yes, we're dorks. And proud of it.

Kat - I'm lookin' forward to Son of a Witch. I think it only came out last month, so you're not too far behind. :)

Curtis - yeah, GP was pretty hunky, but he needed to yuk it up more. I'll bet he and Cary Grant used to make out backstage at the awards shows all the time. At least, I like to think so.

M_D - oh, NOW you tell me.
*pulls rice and carrots from bangs*

Susie - still at work? Man, if Gregory Peck were alive, he wouldn't stand for it.

8:19 PM, November 29, 2005  
Blogger Opera Gal said...

someone said cabana boy - I'll take his older, hairy-chested brother!! And drinks - lots of drinks.

9:44 PM, November 29, 2005  
Blogger Amy said...

Be careful at the laundromat, hon.
Weirdos there, you know.

9:46 PM, November 29, 2005  
Blogger Random and Odd said...

SUSIE! STOP! Why don't you just burst my bubble and start cussing??

Oh and as for the Captain and Tenille, I was ROCKING THE FUCK OUT today in the mini van to "Love Will Keep Us Together"

I scared the kids when I told them I would be singing this to Shaun as our wedding vows.

10:30 PM, November 29, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home