the Bucky Four-Eyes Cotillion

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

I see Internet!

Can you hear the sigh emanating from deep down where my soul might be if I were a normal person? I have just found high-speed wireless in the wilderness.

Jim and I pulled in to Rapid City, South Dakota yesterday afternoon, and I found that my usual dialup connection would not work from the (very inexpensive) room we had booked. Not only that, my Nextel hasn't had a signal since we left Iowa. I have felt curiously disconnected in a way I don't think existed before I began to blog.

I know I've written precious little about my visit with the intrepid Jessica Rabbit. Don't know how much I can add to the whole Brad Pitt-raping scenario, but let me try. Jim and I were made to feel at home immediately, by our hostess, by her sons, by her crazy puppy, and most importantly, by the cat horde. The night was a giggle fest, not unlike what you might hear from a room full of teenage girls giving each other bad perms. I'm unsure on whether Jim and Nick ever got a word in edgewise; they likely talked amongst themselves, but Jess and I were far too busy plotting evil events to notice. Events that will make the world piss its collective pants. A groovy time was had! (And shame on you, Susie Fairchild, for startin' the pussy comments)

We then visited my sister-in-law in Iowa, which was a great time. It's been too long since I've seen her, and we traded some stories that I....well, just don't think I can discuss here, for the sake of propriety. But we had a really good visit.

Our next stop was Murdo, South Dakota. Why the fuck did we pick Murdo? No reason. We looked on the map and said, that looks like a good place to stop. There is nothing in Murdo save for an antique car roadside attraction, a motel, a gas station, and a diner with semi-edible food. As we ate our breakfast on the morning of our departure, we heard a fellow diner intone loudly about "liberal trash" from a table several away. Because I am on vacation, I behaved myself, and didn't give him any dirty looks, or say anything out loud about how he was the cream of American manhood, sittin' there lookin' like the byproduct of a walrus' drunken booty call to the trailer park. I'll just whisper it to you, the Internet as a Whole.

The ride from Murdo to Rapid City is a short one, and per Susie's recommendation, we stopped to behold Wall Drug. All I can say is, I will post the pictures later this week. It is a feast/overload for the eyes. And yes, I rode the mighty jackalope.

Today was quite a sight seein' day. I have many pictures to post, but will only post a few right now, 'cause that's just the kind of tease I am. Plus, I don't know how long I can nurse this Dr. Pepper before they throw me outta Burger King for wireless loitering.

This was next to a huge boulder in front of Mount Rushmore (yes, the Presidential Lineup pictures are forthcoming - wouldnt' you rather look at me for now? Of course you would)
buckyrocks

We walked down the presidential trail at Mount Rushmore, which takes you up to the base of the mountain, so you're lookin' right up at the sculpture. Right up their noses. Yes, there are up-the-nose pictures to be posted later.

Then we drove down to Custer State Park. Before we were even in the park proper, we were greeted by a roving pack of wild donkeys, who stopped by the car and terrorized us with rude faces.

bray

A little farther down the road, traffic was splendidly interrupted by a large herd of gorgeous buffalo.

tatonka1

I took many pictures of them, which you will also see soon.

After we had driven through Custer, we headed out to see the current progress on the Crazy Horse Memorial. The sky was really startin' to look pretty threatening, so we opted out of the bus ride to the base of the mountain.

crazyhorse1

I really hope to see this finished someday, or at least, see some progress beyond the face.

I promise to post more pictures tomorrow, now that I have found my haven of wireless hookup. Now I have to go back to the room and fight Jim for bathtub rights. The eucalyptus milk bath is callin' to me.

Badlands tomorrow, and possibly another stop by Wall Drug. Because it's just that tacky and delightful. Like me.

15 of you felt the overwhelming need to say somethin':

Blogger Squirl said...

Yay, Bucky has internet! Now I can go get a good night's sleep. Glad the trip is going well. Looking forward to more pictures.

9:49 PM, July 05, 2005  
Blogger Susie said...

OH, BUCKY! I am so freakin' envious of you. I LOVED that trip you are taking. I want to do it again, and how the hell are they doing on the Crazy Horse monument? I'm so HAPPY FOR YOU! Isn't it wonderful? I knew your chappy ass would fit right in at Wall Drug! Can't wait for the pix! SMILING

10:04 PM, July 05, 2005  
Blogger Andrea said...

I saw the very beginnings of the Crazy Horse Memorial project back in 1982 or so when we were up the same way. I don't think any carving had yet begun (only could see sketches in the side of the mountain) so that is very cool to see the head done. But for Pete's sake, that was 20+ years ago, and that's ALL they've got done since then???

And Wall Drug rocks. That is all.

10:30 PM, July 05, 2005  
Blogger Andrea said...

Oh, and the "liberal trash" commenting-guy? Surely he wasn't speaking of you. He was talking about SOME of the liberals, who he thinks are trash, which does not include you ;)

P.S. I haven't nagged you about that AOL story for a while...

10:32 PM, July 05, 2005  
Blogger eclectic said...

All is right with the world -- Bucky's posting nasal shots of historic figures and getting run outta Murdo by walrus-spawn. *smiling, contented sigh*

10:43 PM, July 05, 2005  
Blogger Mahala said...

I don't know which I'd fear most..the byproduct of a walrus' drunken booty call to the trailer park or the terrorist donkeys!!!

11:08 PM, July 05, 2005  
Blogger LadyBug said...

We, The Internet as Your Ho, are ecstatically happy to hear from you, Bucky.

So glad you guys are having a good trip.

One question, though: When the hell did propriety become an issue here at the Cotillion?

11:22 PM, July 05, 2005  
Blogger c said...

Woot! Vacations ROCK!

Can't wait to see the pics!

11:46 PM, July 05, 2005  
Blogger Candy said...

Im glad your enjoying yourself and if you return the same way you came, Im baking cake this week. Just so you know.

3:27 AM, July 06, 2005  
Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

That's where the soul is! DEEP DOWN! Got it.

Nextel? Ewww.

I wanna go on a trip and I refuse to tell my Mudder. She LOVES heading out on the road but she loves to nag me to go with them more.

6:28 AM, July 06, 2005  
Blogger Danielle said...

I wanna see more pics!!

7:32 AM, July 06, 2005  
Blogger Ghost of Goldwater said...

I'll trade you pics of myself with my finger up Lincoln's and Napoleon's respective noses... (who says conservatives cant' be fun?)

9:38 AM, July 06, 2005  
Blogger SierraBella said...

"... for the sake of propriety"
Since when?

You're not traveling around in that Betty Crocker outfit, are you?

11:44 AM, July 06, 2005  
Blogger Kranki said...

I love that you are on vacation and I can see your pics. Makes me feel like I am getting out and about.

5:20 PM, July 06, 2005  
Blogger Annejelynn said...

I never try eating, drinking or placing anything in my mouth when I read your posts - I just know better by now

9:20 PM, July 06, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home