the Bucky Four-Eyes Cotillion

Friday, July 08, 2005

No tub, but high speed in my room

I should've remembered from our trip to Memphis a few years ago: Sleep Inn motel rooms don't have bathtubs in 'em. But this one has what none of my rooms has had on this trip: high-speed internet!

We're in Sioux Falls, South Dakota tonight. I did all the drivin' today, from Rapid City, and I have to say I'm feelin' less than literarily inspired. Allow me to instead fling a few pictures your way (I'm told a picture is worth a thousand words, but it won't do shit for you when you're gettin' paid by the word).

Here's my first view of Mount Rushmore as we drove into the park the night we got in (if you look at the large photo, you can see some prez faces off to the left:


purplerushmore


Now, on to more pressing business: the business of assless chaps, the running theme of, apparently, my life. I was asked once if pink chaps exist. In Deadwood, I found proof positive that pink leather is alive, well, and something I will never put against my body if I have a choice in the matter:

pinkchaps

I don't think the pictures do justice to the gaudy neon glow of my sunburn, but here it is for the sake of full disclosure and historical documentation:

burned2

You can see where my camera strap was. I am a geek. I burned the bejeezus out of my tattoo, also, which annoys the fuck out of me because it was so totally avoidable:



burned1

Yesterday was a day chock full o' sights. We started off the morning by headin' to Wyoming to see Devil's Tower, then we came back through Spearfish Canyon, and finally, we spent a few hours in Deadwood (as evidenced by the aforementioned pink chaps). They stage gunfights in the middle of Main Street at regular intervals, and as the faux gunfire rang out, I joked to Jim, "Hell, we came on vacation to get away from the gunfire in the streets." Completely kidding. A kindly lady heard me and turned around, a concerned look on her face.

"Where are you from?" she inquired, no doubt so she could avoid it as a future vacation destination.

"Just north of Detroit," Jim replied, doin' a tremendous job of holdin' back the laughter I knew was simmerin' just under the surface.

Nice Lady patted Jim on the arm and said, "Well, God bless you, I hope you have a relaxing vacation." And then she hurried off, presumably so she wouldn't be in the line of fire if any of our homies spotted us. Then we let the laughter bubble and it was good.

As I keep reiterating, I have many, many pictures of South Dakota's natural photogenicism, and they will be posted when I damn well feel like it. Tonight would not be that time. I will instead leave you with a shot of Devil's Tower:


purpledevil1

For the record, I was not drawn here by any strange compulsion, and did not sculpt any mashed potatoes leading up to this visit.

18 of you felt the overwhelming need to say somethin':

Blogger Torrie said...

WOW. That is one crazy sunburn.

12:08 AM, July 09, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I almost saw Bucky's bodacious ta-tas. Not that it'd MEAN much to me, but when I look at the photo, I can hear Bucky say "Dazed...this boob's for you".

12:18 AM, July 09, 2005  
Blogger Susie said...

I was gonna ask if you know about "Close Encounters," but I see that you do. Didn't you LOVE it all? Oh, I loved that vacation so much. You're going so many of the places that we did.

All that and pink assless chaps.

"Through the valley of the shadow of Roosevelt's nose . . ."

I admit it. I really miss you.

12:31 AM, July 09, 2005  
Blogger SierraBella said...

Well I hope you're both having fun, it's entirely too quiet here at The Cotillion!

2:31 AM, July 09, 2005  
Blogger Ghost of Goldwater said...

NOW look what you've gone and done with your chaps! They're having to CLEAN the whole of Mount Rushmore after you visited! http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/07/08/rushmore.cleaning.ap/index.html

5:15 AM, July 09, 2005  
Blogger Ghost of Goldwater said...

Lets try that link again, shall we...

5:18 AM, July 09, 2005  
Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

Bucky one of my clients I assist with tech support related stuff went on one of his many motorcycle trips recently. So I helped organize his digital photos from this year's trip, as well as last year's trip. All of these images you are showing (minus the chaps and singed tatt of course) are in his collection from last year’s trip. His name, is Jim.

For me this is all Deja Vu Jim & Bucky Pinky Caverna Tuscadero rides again.

6:43 AM, July 09, 2005  
Blogger Nilbo said...

(sigh) So you didn't buy those assless chaps. And here I thought my luck had changed, and Bucky would finally show pink.

9:35 AM, July 09, 2005  
Blogger Torrie said...

You could have at least taken a picture wearing the pink chaps.

10:43 AM, July 09, 2005  
Blogger Squirl said...

Hey leetle seester, glad you had high-speed. Cool pics, except for your poor sunburned bod. Hope you're feeling okay. Keep that camera clicking. I forgot, what kind of camera do you have?

11:33 AM, July 09, 2005  
Blogger Danielle said...

Damn!!! You got burnt gurl!!

12:32 PM, July 09, 2005  
Blogger eclectic said...

Hey, let's leave the sunburning to those of us who's pasty skin is genetically pre-selected for it already, alright?! It's just not cool when someone who CAN tan gets mileage out of NOT tanning; I mean, I can't really post pic.s of my great tan -- since I'll never have one -- and now that you've already done the post-toasty, I can't do that either! Damn!! Scooped again.....! ;)

1:57 PM, July 09, 2005  
Blogger greatwhitebear said...

damn, that looks painful...hope you have a healthy supply of aloe gel or solarcaine!

5:54 PM, July 10, 2005  
Blogger Susie said...

You comin' home soon?! I'm just gonna hang out here on the new couch and wait for ya. Where's the remote . . .

7:03 PM, July 10, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

wow, you can so see your eyes - weird, bucky w/out sunnies. or rather with sunnies on low

nasty burn. I've had some odd sunburn patterns too - camera strap, handprints and the outline of my cats head and front paws - THAT was embarrassing.

Glad to see you are enjoying your trip, high speed or not, come back soon so we can see the rest of the photos.

10:29 AM, July 11, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She's probably met another horse by now. Those horses in the west are hung like horses :(

She's probably forgotten all about THIS.

POKEY

10:56 AM, July 11, 2005  
Blogger Annejelynn said...

buy a big huge bottle of aloe vera!

1:14 PM, July 11, 2005  
Blogger Candy said...

Where are you? Dont make me do something wicked over here. POST DAMN YOU POST.

3:34 PM, July 11, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home