the Bucky Four-Eyes Cotillion

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Cake's gone


Hear me roar
Originally uploaded by Bucky Four-Eyes.

Yes, as a matter of fact, I do like to show my whole cow tongue in pictures.

While this weekend with my family was wondrous and groovy in that I got to see most everybody, including one cute-as-a-cutie's-button great nephew, it was also a weekend with some really anxious moments and a lot of waiting.

Seems my visit put my mom in the hospital Saturday night. She's had emphysema for years now, and is on oxygen 100% of the time at home. It's been a while since her last trip to the hospital, but we suspect she caught a bug or somethin' and that put her over the edge. So, we took her to emergency Saturday night after dinner (which I did not cook, so don't go gettin' ideas there), where she had to receive immediate treatment for her breathing and nausea. I won't go into too much detail, because I'm sure Mom would hate my discussing this in public, but it was pretty scary there for a while.

We knew she would be better, though, when she started to bitch that the nurse had mussed her hair, the Famous Bouf, while takin' off the strap for her breathing treatment. As soon as Mom worries about her hair, you know she's gonna be OK. That's just Mom.

I had planned to come home on Sunday, but since we weren't sure of her status, I stayed until Monday afternoon. Mom was in ICU until a couple of hours ago, when Tardist and Squirl brought her home. I know she's happy to have her own TV, her own chair, her own bathroom...

Anyway, I have to say, the whole Rice-a-Roni scandal was the best medicine in the world when my sibs and I would come back from the hospital to the apartment. Saturday night, when we came back with our nerves all jangly and still unsure about what would happen, we read Susie's comments and then my comments, and we all laughed ourselves even sillier than we are normally. So, thanks you guys, you gave us all a lotta giggles at a time when they were really, really needed.

And yes, I do know better than to think that this absolves me of my "Nice and girly" duties later this week. I'm girlifying and thinking pure thoughts even as I write this.

boom

Another lightning bolt, sidestepped.

14 of you felt the overwhelming need to say somethin':

Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

Well wishes to Mudder. Not fun to be ill. :(

2:32 PM, May 24, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad your mom's home and worrying about The Bouf again.

Much love to you all,
LB

2:36 PM, May 24, 2005  
Blogger Maven said...

Glad that mom's out of the hospital. Both of my parents are always in and out these days. They're in their early 60s, but you'd think they're in their 80s with how they play up the how helpless they are. Dad's had several heart attacks, emphysema (sp?) and recently was hospitalized for CHF. Good luck to you and your family. Your family's dodging lightning bolts--mine is dodging bullets (figurative).

Thinking Good Thoughts...

3:30 PM, May 24, 2005  
Blogger Torrie said...

Being an adult sucks sometimes, doesn't it?

3:39 PM, May 24, 2005  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Mr. B - I know Mudder would appreciate your wishes. And no, I don't think she was havin' any fun!

LadyBug - Thanks, you're a sweetie! And now The Bouf is once again the center of Mom's universe. Oh, and General Hospital.

Nugget - Let's hope we all keep dodgin' for a long, long time!

Torrie - I don't seem to remember ever signing up for adulthood. Somebody musta given me the contract and a pen when I was drunk.

3:46 PM, May 24, 2005  
Blogger Susie said...

Oh, Bucky. Even before I got to what you said about reading the comments, I thought, I am so glad we generated so much wackiness for those guys on Saturday night; hoping it took the edge off some.
We, of course, had no idea. God, laughter helps. Last August a cousin and I nearly got the whole family thrown out of the ICU by doing our stand-up routines while my niece lay in and out of consciousness, following an accident in which her husband died. Later, I felt I should apologize to her. She wouldn't have it, she said, "That's what we do when we're together. We laugh and act like damn fools. Everything in my life had just changed, and I needed something to be the same. You making me laugh was the same." My smart, brave niece.
Your blogfriends acting like damn fools was the same, too.
I hope your mom is better and better.
I love you, man.

None of this changes the fact that I want your ass in a dress by the end of the week. I'm also thinking maybe some curls, some lipstick, a little bling bling . . .

3:52 PM, May 24, 2005  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Thanks, Susie. And you are so right, sometimes a person who is terribly ill or injured just needs something, anything, that gives them some sense of normalcy.

I love you too, man. But, I just have to say...you'll get the dress, the bling bling, maybe even the lipstick...

BUT NO CURLS! There are a lot of things this girl will do (many which will never, never be blogged), but askin' for curls is just over the line.

Unless we're talkin' afro or beehive, and then I'm sooooo in.

3:59 PM, May 24, 2005  
Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

I'll vote for the beehive. B52's style!

4:27 PM, May 24, 2005  
Blogger Candy said...

Im glad your mom is ok, im glad you made it home safe, im glad you guys were laughing together. Ok moving on.

Say whats a nice tongue like you doing with a girl like that?

4:51 PM, May 24, 2005  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Mr. B - Yeah, I was kinda goin for the Kate Pierson beehive look. Good call!

Jess - I can always count on you to appreciate the real art in every photo.

5:16 PM, May 24, 2005  
Blogger Dang Cold.. said...

Phew!! Reading through post I was starting to feel bad for being such a shit disturber Saturday night and being Susie's toadie in Operation "Bucky Von Trappe". I'm glad it turned out to make you guys feel better. Glad your moms okay.

dc

7:22 PM, May 24, 2005  
Blogger Squirl said...

Bucky's right. The comments here and at Susie's this weekend was perfect. We were already doing a little joking and laughing at the hospital. It's what we are and what we do. But the love-fest that was going on in blogland was just perfect! Thanks!

9:21 AM, May 25, 2005  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Dang - "Bucky Von Trappe" - how did you know I was obsessed (briefly) with The Sound of Music when I was a kid? And yes, your tomfoolery and shit disturbing ways were most appreciated (and really, they always are).

Squirl - Yep, the comments were so good I even put on the helmet.

9:40 AM, May 25, 2005  
Blogger c said...

So glad that everything turned out OK with your mom.

And I'm so happy to have been a part of the girlification and giggles!

10:58 AM, May 25, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home