the Bucky Four-Eyes Cotillion

Monday, October 03, 2005

I'm with the banned

I realize that I'm late for Banned Book Week, but this is a topic about which I feel very strongly. When I saw this meme over at Squirl's place, I couldn't resist adding my handful of change to the discussion. I'm surprised Farenheit 451 isn't on this list.

The idea of this meme is to take the 100 most censorially challenged books from 1990-2000 and highlight the ones I've read. Clearly, I need to step up on my controversial-book readin', as I've only highlighted twelve selections. If Toni Morrison is that bannable, then I can see I must read all her books immediately. Just tell me I shouldn't read somethin', fucker, and see how quickly it's open in my hands with my greedy four eyes drinkin' it all in.


  1. Scary Stories (Series) by Alvin Schwartz
  2. Daddy’s Roommate by Michael Willhoite
  3. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
  4. The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier
  5. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
  6. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
  7. Harry Potter (Series) by J.K. Rowling (not all of them yet)
  8. Forever by Judy Blume
  9. Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
  10. Alice (Series) by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
  11. Heather Has Two Mommies by Leslea Newman
  12. My Brother Sam is Dead by James Lincoln Collier and Christopher Collier
  13. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
  14. The Giver by Lois Lowry
  15. It’s Perfectly Normal by Robie Harris
  16. Goosebumps (Series) by R.L. Stine
  17. A Day No Pigs Would Die by Robert Newton Peck
  18. The Color Purple by Alice Walker
  19. Sex by Madonna
  20. Earth’s Children (Series) by Jean M. Auel (not all of them yet)
  21. The Great Gilly Hopkins by Katherine Paterson
  22. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle
  23. Go Ask Alice by Anonymous
  24. Fallen Angels by Walter Dean Myers
  25. In the Night Kitchen by Maurice Sendak
  26. The Stupids (Series) by Harry Allard
  27. The Witches by Roald Dahl
  28. The New Joy of Gay Sex by Charles Silverstein
  29. Anastasia Krupnik (Series) by Lois Lowry
  30. The Goats by Brock Cole
  31. Kaffir Boy by Mark Mathabane
  32. Blubber by Judy Blume
  33. Killing Mr. Griffin by Lois Duncan
  34. Halloween ABC by Eve Merriam
  35. We All Fall Down by Robert Cormier
  36. Final Exit by Derek Humphry
  37. The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
  38. Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George
  39. The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
  40. What’s Happening to my Body? Book for Girls: A Growing-Up Guide for Parents & Daughters by Lynda Madaras
  41. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
  42. Beloved by Toni Morrison
  43. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton (I read this roughly a million times as a pre-teen)
  44. The Pigman by Paul Zindel
  45. Bumps in the Night by Harry Allard
  46. Deenie by Judy Blume
  47. Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
  48. Annie on my Mind by Nancy Garden
  49. The Boy Who Lost His Face by Louis Sachar
  50. Cross Your Fingers, Spit in Your Hat by Alvin Schwartz
  51. A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein
  52. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
  53. Sleeping Beauty Trilogy by A.N. Roquelaure (Anne Rice)
  54. Asking About Sex and Growing Up by Joanna Cole
  55. Cujo by Stephen King
  56. James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
  57. The Anarchist Cookbook by William Powell
  58. Boys and Sex by Wardell Pomeroy
  59. Ordinary People by Judith Guest
  60. American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
  61. What’s Happening to my Body? Book for Boys: A Growing-Up Guide for Parents & Sons by Lynda Madaras
  62. Are You There, God? It’s Me, Margaret by Judy Blume
  63. Crazy Lady by Jane Conly
  64. Athletic Shorts by Chris Crutcher
  65. Fade by Robert Cormier
  66. Guess What? by Mem Fox
  67. The House of Spirits by Isabel Allende
  68. The Face on the Milk Carton by Caroline Cooney
  69. Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
  70. Lord of the Flies by William Golding
  71. Native Son by Richard Wright
  72. Women on Top: How Real Life Has Changed Women’s Fantasies by Nancy Friday
  73. Curses, Hexes and Spells by Daniel Cohen
  74. Jack by A.M. Homes
  75. Bless Me, Ultima by Rudolfo A. Anaya
  76. Where Did I Come From? by Peter Mayle
  77. Carrie by Stephen King
  78. Tiger Eyes by Judy Blume
  79. On My Honor by Marion Dane Bauer
  80. Arizona Kid by Ron Koertge
  81. Family Secrets by Norma Klein
  82. Mommy Laid An Egg by Babette Cole
  83. The Dead Zone by Stephen King
  84. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
  85. Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison
  86. Always Running by Luis Rodriguez
  87. Private Parts by Howard Stern
  88. Where’s Waldo? by Martin Hanford
  89. Summer of My German Soldier by Bette Greene
  90. Little Black Sambo by Helen Bannerman
  91. Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
  92. Running Loose by Chris Crutcher
  93. Sex Education by Jenny Davis
  94. The Drowning of Stephen Jones by Bette Greene
  95. Girls and Sex by Wardell Pomeroy
  96. How to Eat Fried Worms by Thomas Rockwell
  97. View from the Cherry Tree by Willo Davis Roberts
  98. The Headless Cupid by Zilpha Keatley Snyder
  99. The Terrorist by Caroline Cooney
  100. Jump Ship to Freedom by James Lincoln Collier and Christopher Collier

21 of you felt the overwhelming need to say somethin':

Blogger eclectic said...

With you on the isle of the banned. *sigh* Good thing I brought beer...

1:57 PM, October 03, 2005  
Blogger Effie said...

Well, if eclectic brought the beer, where's the munchies to go with? I brought Nachos & salsa....

2:11 PM, October 03, 2005  
Blogger Susie said...

I like your title; it took me a moment. When are you going to write your book? I'm sure it could get banned.

3:30 PM, October 03, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

I really don’t understand why anyone would want to ban some of these books, unless they think that books such as Huck Finn, and To Kill a Mocking Bird, for example, are politically incorrect. Of course, some of these such as those by Blume and Madonna are rather sexy, but so are TV commercials.

The “Christian” Right Wing has been jumping on the Harry Potter series since it began—“witchcraft ain’t Christian, Bubba.”

OK, I’m not into highlighting, but I shall list the 28 books on the list that I have read and recommend each and every one of them to you:

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
Harry Potter (Series) by J.K. Rowling (not all of them yet)
Forever by Judy Blume
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
The Color Purple by Alice Walker
Sex by Madonna
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle
The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Beloved by Toni Morrison
The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
Little Black Sambo by Helen Bannerman
Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
Cujo by Stephen King
Ordinary People by Judith Guest
Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
Lord of the Flies by William Golding
Native Son by Richard Wright
Women on Top: How Real Life Has Changed Women’s Fantasies by Nancy Friday
Tiger Eyes by Judy Blume
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison

4:00 PM, October 03, 2005  
Blogger Ghost of Goldwater said...

Ahhhh... an opportunity to throw some quotes at ya'll...

"I can't understand why a person will take a year to write a novel when he can easily buy one for a few dollars."
- Fred Allen

"Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him."
- Maya Angelou

"You don’t have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them."
- Ray Bradbury

"Everywhere I go I’m asked if I think the university stifles writers. My opinion is that they don’t stifle enough of them."
- Flannery O’Connor

"There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away."
- Emily Dickinson

"Don't join the book burners. Do not think you are going to conceal thoughts by concealing evidence that they ever existed."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Some editors are failed writers, but so are most writers."
- George Eliot

"Whenever they burn books, they will also, in the end, burn people."
- Heinrich Heine

"I’ve learned about women the hard way: through books."
- Emo Phillips

"I’m all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters."
- Solomon Short

Homer: Marge, I'm bored...
Marge: Why don't you read a book, then?
Homer: Because I'm trying to reduce my boredom.
- The Simpsons

"No furniture so charming as books."
- Sydney Smith

"You know when you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend."
- Paul Sweeney

"There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written."
- Oscar Wilde

4:36 PM, October 03, 2005  
Blogger Mahala said...

I LOOOOOVE the "Earth's Children" series!!!! I was offering the Hooterville librarian bribes when the last one came out cuz the waiting list was so long.

5:34 PM, October 03, 2005  
Blogger Susie said...

SS Nick, where have you been all my blogging life? With about 3 exceptions, your list is my list!

6:11 PM, October 03, 2005  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Eclectic - let's drink beer and underline the "good parts" in the banned books.

Effie - Ooooh, I will take some nachos, please!

Susie - Oh, I'm sure I will piss off plenty of people when my book is born. No tellin' what the gestational period is on that, though.

SS Nick - You're better read than I am, at least for the banned book list. I need to get busy on that. Must read that which I am told not to. It's just my way.

Ghost - well said, all the way round.

Romani Heart - I think I've only read the first three. I will have to check. The movie of Clan of the Cave Bear just didn't do it for me, except for casting Daryl Hannah as Ayla, which I called for long before it was filmed.

Susie - are you usin' my comments to be all mackin' on SS Nick? If so, carry on!

7:48 PM, October 03, 2005  
Blogger Opera Gal said...

My list:
(Btw, Farenheit 451 used to be on the list when I first saw the banned books list 20 years ago.)
I'm no fan of Stephen King, so I was amazed to see how many of his I had read. It seems as though the list has gotten away from the political/social comnmentary types of books being banned and primarily deals with those that have religious, drug or sexual connotations.

I would be happy to roast marshmallows over the campfire on the island with all ya'll.

3. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
4. The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier
5. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
6. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
7. Harry Potter (Series) by J.K. Rowling
8. Forever by Judy Blume
10. Alice (Series) by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
11. Heather Has Two Mommies by Leslea Newman
13. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
18. The Color Purple by Alice Walker
19. Sex by Madonna
22. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle
23. Go Ask Alice by Anonymous
24. Fallen Angels by Walter Dean Myers
25. In the Night Kitchen by Maurice Sendak
26. The Stupids (Series) by Harry Allard
32. Blubber by Judy Blume
36. Final Exit by Derek Humphry
37. The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
41. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
42. Beloved by Toni Morrison
43. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
45. Bumps in the Night by Harry Allard
46. Deenie by Judy Blume
47. Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
49. The Boy Who Lost His Face by Louis Sachar
50. Cross Your Fingers, Spit in Your Hat by Alvin Schwartz
51. A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein
52. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
53. Sleeping Beauty Trilogy by A.N. Roquelaure (Anne Rice)
55. Cujo by Stephen King
56. James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
57. The Anarchist Cookbook by William Powell
59. Ordinary People by Judith Guest
60. American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
62. Are You There, God? It’s Me, Margaret by Judy Blume
67. The House of Spirits by Isabel Allende
69. Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
70. Lord of the Flies by William Golding
71. Native Son by Richard Wright
72. Women on Top: How Real Life Has Changed Women’s Fantasies by Nancy Friday
76. Where Did I Come From? by Peter Mayle
77. Carrie by Stephen King
83. The Dead Zone by Stephen King
84. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
85. Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison
86. Always Running by Luis Rodriguez
87. Private Parts by Howard Stern
88. Where’s Waldo? by Martin Hanford
89. Summer of My German Soldier by Bette Greene
90. Little Black Sambo by Helen Bannerman
96. How to Eat Fried Worms by Thomas Rockwell

7:56 PM, October 03, 2005  
Blogger Squirl said...

This is a favorite topic of mine. I've already been hogging the soapbox over at my site.

Bucky, I'm glad you did this list, too. I found it over at Doc Ern's site.

I really have a lot more reading to do. Like you, just knowing they're banned makes me want to read them.

And you'd think that Margaret Atwood's Edible Woman would've been on the list, just from the title.

8:22 PM, October 03, 2005  
Blogger I'm not here. said...

:::Sets down large boxes of pizza and looks through list of books:::
Sorry I'm late, effie. :o)

Okay, I'll go by number 'cause I'm being lazy right now:
3,5,6,13,17,37; watched 43 via movie in class but forgot to read the book; 47, 51,55,70,77,84,and 96...95% of the ones I listed were read to me in my public school back in the day.
That was the 1980's-1990's, so a lot *has* changed since then!
I just thought the instructors were giving us memories to draw back on for later when we hit the duldrums of adulthood--oh, and to piss off our principal. We had a cool instuctor. Ms. Kelly. :o)

8:26 PM, October 03, 2005  
Blogger I'm not here. said...

"Where's Waldo?" ???
You mean the picture book that has that one guy hiding in each picture? He's on the list?
Or am I just missing out on something?
MMM...good nachos!
:::cracks open beer:::

9:04 PM, October 03, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, Susie, since our lists overlap, we’ve probably been traveling the same roads. You’re a psychotherapist and I have been, too (social worker). It’s grand to find someone with similar reading tastes.

1:28 AM, October 04, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

THere's a movie? With Daryl Hannah? someone will have to send me a copy of that one - I reckon it'll be cool to see how much they fucked up.

Bucky I am so glad I'm not the only one who had read the sleeping beauty series. She actually has a heap of erotica under different names. Her mayfair witches series is also pretty erotic/scary and stays with you a long time - much more controversial than the vampire series.

I'm coming to banned book island for sure - anyone else got examples of books that were dispporved of? I'll read em!

7:05 AM, October 04, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder what constitutes a book to be banned - what's the criteria? (by the way, Bucky, I absolutely LOVED "Geek Love" - great recommendation, thanks!) I read this one book where there's murder, men sleeping with their brother's wives, men sleeping with men, there's witchcraft, overall debauchery and generally a good time to be had by all (like that whore in Babylon). Why hasn't the bible ever been banned?

9:46 AM, October 04, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I have yet to see any royalties from that one.

10:15 AM, October 04, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

W of B - those bastards! You were robbed!

10:25 AM, October 04, 2005  
Blogger Effie said...

Song--the movie with Daryl Hannah was OK--but definitely didn't do the book justice! You have to read the series and make your own mental pictures....I always thought it was amazing how Ayla invented so many things...needle & thread, etc.

I think I've read/looked through every single Where's Waldo book....loved them!

Pizza, beer, nachos--PARTY-TIME! Woohoo!

oh and dazed and confused--yeah--I wonder if it will be banned....

11:59 AM, October 04, 2005  
Blogger SierraBella said...

I'm hoping kids and teens see the list and start reading some of these books.
Some great reading on this list, and several were required reading when I was in school.

3:08 PM, October 04, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What kills me is the absolute HATRED that Shirley Jackson had to endure from the small-minded small-town where she lived when "The Lottery" was published. She was a genius. A couple tacos shy of a combo plate, but a genius.

3:10 PM, October 04, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've read close to three-quarters of the books on this list. I shall now make a point of reading the others. Banning books is sacrilege! I'm off to the library...

--swamp4me

5:09 PM, October 05, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home