the Bucky Four-Eyes Cotillion

Saturday, July 30, 2005

IS a picture worth a thousand words?

As I sit and ever-so-slightly eat my heart out because I'm not at the BlogHer conference today - c'mon, I can't be gone all month, can I? Hmmm - it's got me a-thinkin' about the content I put out on this site, this Cotillion, this place you come to laugh at things you really shouldn't be laughin' about, not in good conscience.

When I first started this here place, I didn't have a digital camera, so all my content was written, and generally longer than a lot of my posts you see now. Once I got the camera earlier this year, I started to supplement my written posts with pictures. That was a great new dimension for me - I could show you Snickers right now, Jim right now, me stickin' my horrid tongue out as far as it'll go right now...Immediacy? Instant creative gratification? Count me in.

And then I found the beauty of usin' graphics as blog filler on days when I didn't have the time to write, or my muse was holdin' out on me - even then, I can always wring out a smartass sentence or two, or a title. That, too, made me feel better; it seemed like more responsible upkeep of the joint to post a picture than to post nothin' on a given day. Yes, I just used the word "responsible" in reference to myself and this site. I think it's safe to say it's time to start drinkin', if you haven't already.

Now I look back through my archives, because I'm just that narcissistic, and I see what seems to me to be a large ratio of pictures to text. Makes me wonder if I haven't become genuinely neglectful of my writing, and writing is what I came here to do in the first place. Should I ditch the pictures and take this thang back to its wroughly written wroots?

Then the clearest of the voices in my head stage whispers to me: "Fuck that shit!"

And it's right. Fuck that shit. I love to take and post pictures, and though I have no idea what I'm doin' with the camera, and a fancy camera with settings I could change would likely confound me, I just like to be able to post illustrations of what's goin' on or what catches my eye at any given moment. And if I can make my family and friends uncomfortable with my doctored-up Photoshop monstrosities, well...bonus! One of the things I really enjoy about this forum is that I can truly put on a multimedia presentation here. I get to write, post photos, post borderline "artwork", do audio blogs, and if I'd spring for the subscription to Audioblog and some conversion software, I could even make movies and post 'em here. Makes me feel all warm and fungusy to know I have so many options for messin' with the Internet as a Whole.

So, yeah, I'll still be comin' at you from all directions. When you least expect it, there I'll be, up your butt, with a camera.

jackalope1
I just love to get a good grip on the saddlehorn.

18 of you felt the overwhelming need to say somethin':

Blogger Opera Gal said...

This may not be the type of comment you're looking for here- i know you go for the more ribald type of droppings, but damn, if your post didn't make me think about MY blog. Which has been PAINFULLY neglected...Music reviews? bailed on those.
Updating the music? bailed on that.
Actually writing anything? nothing, unless you include the "oops, work is kicking my a-- and I won't be doing a show this week" posts.

THEN I realized something REALLY SCARY - I had even stopped listening to the Sat afternoon at the opera broadcasts.
All of this went through my head while I was reading your post.

At this point, Bucky, the proper response is probably "WTF??!" but hey, I had an epiphany over here at the Cotillion AND I cleaned up after myself, so you can't ask for too much more.
Ok, you can, but I probably won't be giving out any of that.

love and kisses - whfropera

2:29 PM, July 30, 2005  
Blogger eclectic said...

Cotillion Status Report: Deep, musing thoughts combined with general contempt, join forces with a graphic photo of Bucky riding the saddle horn of a bunny pretty hard...yep, all's well over at the Cotillion. Good t'know.

3:00 PM, July 30, 2005  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Opera gal - well, thoughtful expression and reflection are welcome here. Rare, but welcome.
And I'm glad you cleaned up after your epiphany; once those stains set, it's a bitch to get 'em out.
And I'll ask no more than that. Not in front of everybody, at least.

Eclectic - Can't let myself slip into sincerity for too long, can I? And it's funny you chose the phrase "riding the saddle horn" as my bro, Tardist, and I wrote "The Saddlehorn Song" together about 20 years ago. It contains the refrain, "Get up gal, and ride that saddlehorn."
Yes, it's as disgusting as you think it is.

3:27 PM, July 30, 2005  
Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

It's the blogosphere itself Bucky. Several of the blogs I visit have had similar self-examinations and I say it's good to see what you're doing, what you did and see what's up. I've been enjoying the visits so far and would really only be insulted if you quit and didn't say bye.

I'd also like to say that being a divorced man, far far away from Jim's grasp that he's...well...not near henpecked enough. If I could suggest one tiny change to the blog I'd like to see a lot more spousal abuse and MANY more embarrassing photos of Jim. He's gotten too quiet lately and damn it, the time is right.

Hi Jim! :)

4:29 PM, July 30, 2005  
Blogger Squirl said...

All I could think of, considering this was such an insightful post, was the saddlehorn song after seeing that picture. I shall have that in my head now for quite a while.

6:08 PM, July 30, 2005  
Blogger Spurious Nurse said...

BFE, you're one funny, assless-chaps -wearing biatch. Your writing's divine and we'll take all we can get, but if you just keep posting pictures of you at the jackalope rodeo, everything else is just icing on the cake.

Yee-haw!

8:15 AM, July 31, 2005  
Blogger Susie said...

First, look at you, riding a jackalope. I am so proud of you *sniff*. And thank you for cleaning up the twisted mess you left at my place.
I love your blog. Words, pictures, blogger and all. Commenters, too. You have a fine, respectable (what? in certain circles...) establishment here. I missed you terribly when you were away. Don't do that no mo'.

8:34 AM, July 31, 2005  
Blogger Nilbo said...

In what possible hellish, amoral, twisted, freakish circle could this blog ever be considered "respectable"????

Fuck that. We don't need no fucking "respectable". What we love about Bucky is that we DON'T have to respect her in the morning. So, there's one promise less. Now, what others do I make ...?

Oh, right. Sorry about the mouth thing. But it all sneaks up on me so fast. I need a two minute warning. If I could only last that long.

Oh, and nice to see YOU on top ...

12:51 PM, July 31, 2005  
Blogger Susie said...

In this one, Nilbo: O
I respect Bucky, in the morning, in the evening, whatever.

Bucky, a semi-serious question, that may actually be semi-related to this actual post (imagine that): I was just browsing the Blogher site, and there was a lot made of what "category" one's blog fits. If you were there, what category would you call your blog? Storytelling? Identity? I don't know; I don't know about mine, either. As I have said many times, to whomever is inclined to listen, you are my blog inspiration. If you HAD to fit into a category, or even a BOX (Merry Christmas), what would it be?

1:51 PM, July 31, 2005  
Blogger eclectic said...

Oh Susie, what have you done?! Asking Bucky what she'd do if she had to put herself in a BOX?? I know you've been out of the swing of things here, but for crying in the night, you're just gonna leave that one out in the open?! We need to talk, girlfriend!

4:12 PM, July 31, 2005  
Blogger Susie said...

eclectic, yes, yes, I am out of the loop, however, over the months I have taken considerable pleasure in tossing out "boxes," "monkeys," "bushes" and the like, as little gifts to Bucky, Nilbo, et. al., just so they can run off with them and do what they do. Not that these clever people need MY help; it is simply for my own amusement and delight in various blogfriends' perversity. That's why the "Merry Christmas." You have much to learn, Glasshoppa. You will learn much of it here at the Cotillion ;) I rarely write anything without an awareness of the various ways in which my words can be mangled. And I say, "mangle away!"

4:52 PM, July 31, 2005  
Blogger Ern said...

I was gettin' all worried, there for a minute! I like your writing AND your pictures. I do truly believe that pictures are worth a thousand words. And in your case, a BFE pic is worth a thousand smartass words.

5:28 PM, July 31, 2005  
Blogger Ern said...

Yay for favicons! And I'm going to hold it against you that you said "delightful" you know. I like your soft, chewy center!

7:34 PM, July 31, 2005  
Blogger Torrie said...

You will do what entertains us and you will like it!!!

Oh sorry, I just got back from the dominatrix convention in Cleveland.

10:21 PM, July 31, 2005  
Blogger Candy said...

I leave you alone for one weekend, just one, and I come back to find you riding a jackalope?

I this how I raised you young lady? Next thing Ill be hearing is that you have sex and hang out with dirty hippies or former strippers or are a two dollar hooker.

What is the world coming to when a fine upstanding lady like you rides the devil rabbit? Its not right I tell ya, its just not right.

4:54 AM, August 01, 2005  
Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

I say better to ride the devil rabbit than to let the devil rabbit ride you.

Now gimme my two dollars.

8:00 AM, August 01, 2005  
Blogger racingpartsales.com said...

Bucky, You should always ask for cash in advance, especially with those out of state chicks.

10:01 AM, August 01, 2005  
Blogger Annejelynn said...

Going through my Kinja, um, whatever you call a Kinja thing...I saw there was new post from the Bucky4Is Cotillion... I was smiling before I opened the "New Tab" that would reveal the lastest Bucky post.

Grip that saddlehorn baby! Grip it good!

1:10 PM, August 01, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home